Just Corious

How many would call this out and what would u say about it???

1418 N 18th Enid 12-13-10 030.jpg

1418 N 18th Enid 12-13-10 054.jpg

1418 N 18th Enid 12-13-10 009.jpg

Charley

Could you please explain your findings!!

I am not sure about the pics, I would say that it looks likes the line was poorly brazed and it may be leaking refrigerant.

Also the 1st pic is the filter/dryer allowed in the cabinet?

Please inform me oh wise one!!

Hi David fancy meeting you here I commend you for being brave enough to say you did not understand the other 90 some lookers did not.

The first pic was just to let you know that it was a heat pump and yes the dryer is allowed inside the cabinet.

The second and third pic are showing a size reduction in the liquid line which is not allowed by the MFG of any A/C equipment. One can and will quite often increase the size depending on location and distance between the A-coil and the condensing unit but never ever decrease size as it reduces the efficiency of the unit by as much as a 1/2 ton or more in most cases

Thanks Charley, good info.

I would of missed this one for sure.

Are you prone to taking off equipment covers?

This is where my friend Charley goes off the rails a bit as a home inspector. :shock:

I’m still trying to understand what corious means, let alone the pics-LOL Thanks for the info on the visible liquid line, though. Good to know.

No, I do not take usually take off the cover, but 2 of the pics were visible with the cover on or off.

Friend Mike I consider the front panel as a normal excess panel key word being excess panel:shock::shock: Hard to see burnt wires on old units with the panel in place:mrgreen:

An ACCESS panel needs to be readily removable without tools IMHO. :mrgreen:

But of course you can do as you wish.

I don’t inspect heat exchangers either. :wink:

Your definition not mine. My sop does not mention the word tools

Readily accessible-Providing direct access (e.g., to piping, wiring, air-conditioning controls, etc.) without requiring the removal or movement of a panel or similar obstruction.

What is your SOP?

What are you smoking Mike how did heat exchangers get into this conversation BTW I don’t inspect heat exchangers either

2.4. Heating

I. The inspector shall inspect:

A. the heating systems using normal operating controls, an describe the energy source and heating method;
B. and report as in need of repair heating systems which do not operate;
C. and report if the heating systems are deemed inaccessible.

II. The inspector is not required to:
A. inspect or evaluate interiors of flues or chimneys, fire chambers, heat exchangers, combustion air systems, fresh air intakes, humidifiers, dehumidifiers, electronic air filters, geothermal systems or solar heating systems.
B. inspect fuel tanks or underground or concealed fuel supply systems.
C. determine the uniformity, temperature, flow, balance, distribution, size, capacity, BTU, or supply adequacy of the heating system.
D. light or ignite pilot flames.
E. activate heating, heat pump systems or other heating systems when ambient temperatures or other circumstances are not conducive to safe operation or may damage the equipment.
F. override electronic thermostats.
G. evaluate fuel quality.
H. verify thermostat calibration, heat anticipation, or automatic setbacks, timers, programs or clocks.

2.5. Cooling

I. The inspector shall inspect:

A. the central cooling equipment using normal operating controls.

II. The inspector is not required to:

A. determine the uniformity, temperature, flow, balance, distribution, size, capacity, BTU, or supply adequacy of the cooling system.
B. inspect window units, through-wall units, or electronic air filters.
C. operate equipment or systems if exterior temperature is below 60 degrees Fahrenheit, or when other circumstances are not conducive to safe operation, or may damage the equipment.
D. inspect or determine thermostat calibration, cooling anticipation, or automatic setbacks or clocks.
E. examine electrical current, coolant fluids or gases, or coolant leakage.

III. The inspectors are not required to:

B. dismantle, open, or uncover any system or component.

Mike we have had numerous conversations just like this in years past I think you just like a good argument I am not going to change u and u sure are not going to change me I was just providing a little over looked info about line size and here you go again off the deep end

As I said you can do as you wish.

Your choice.

What’s your SOP again?

I’m still your friend. :smiley:

Your asking what MY sop is, as its always been take two screws out and look for burnt wiring on old units:D:D and I will do it every time:shock::shock:

Great Catch and good reminder. :smiley:

It’s just the old HVAC in ya. I get it. :smiley:

How does one remove the panel cover when checking inside the circuit breaker panel? All the ones I have ever encountered used screws.