Look what I found today!

Thought I would never get to see one of these. 88 model. Had 2 mufflers on it, and worked flawlessly. I did let the buyers know about the recalls. :cool:

And Sean Wins thata Boy award .

I see those all the time. Different parts of the country I guess. They have been a problem too many have been replaced due to me calling it out.

Have seen 3 or 4 over the years way up here in Halifax,NS. Since we only have had natgas here in the last 7-8 years, they were burning propane.

Sean - Found one yesterday in a crawl space - was unable to find a mod/ser # on it - Do you have info on the recalls?

Greg, the recall that I am aware of, is from the mid to late 90’s, and is expired.

Lennox Industries, a major maker of high-efficiency home gas furnaces, has announced a factory-subsidized inspection program (recall) for Lennox Pulse furnaces installed between 1982 and 1989.
A company news release said unacceptable levels of corrosion had been found in some of the heat exchangers of furnaces manufactured and installed during that time. “A combination of things, such as condensation, impurities in fuel, inadequate cleaning or irregular inspections can, over the lifetime of the unit, lead to undetected corrosion of key components of the heating system”, said Bob Schjerven, president and CEO of Lennox. “Improperly inspected or maintained furnaces can develop problems, including the possibility of carbon monoxide leaks that could be fatal,” he added.
If you are unsure whether his or her furnace is covered by the program, he or she should remove the front door of the furnace and find the name tag. It will contain a number beginning with “GS14” or “GSR14”, etc., followed by a series of other numbers and letters. One should then contact Lennox at (800)537-4341.

No recall. Just a one time free inspection for the G14 only.

However Lennox does recommend that all G14’s and G21’s Pulse heat exchangers be inspected and pressure tested for leakage every 4 years. This inspection is the owners responsibility.

Also:

http://www.inspect-ny.com/heat/lennox1.htm

The company urges owners of Lennox Pulse furnaces installed between 1982 and 1989 to schedule a furnace and safety check with an independent Lennox dealer by calling 800-537-4341
[Try this newer Lennox Corporation contact telephone number: 900-622-8000, or
Try the contact links to Lennox dealers inserted by Google at the left side of this page - February 2007–DF].

The Lennox Pulse furnace safety inspection is free, but if the furnace has to be cleaned in order to be inspected, the customer could be charged for the cleaning.
To identify a Pulse furnace, look for its name on the door. If the unit is a Pulse 21 furnace, it was manufactured after 1990 and is not part of the inspection program.
For those with Lennox furnaces without the Pulse 21 name, the next step is to remove the front door and look for the name tag. These tags are usually placed on the inside cabinet wall on the left side of the furnace.
Locate the model number on the tag (either G14 or GSR14 followed by a series of numbers and letters) and the serial number on a tag below the name tag. Homeowners who caU the 800 number with the information will be told if their furnace is eligible for this inspection program.
The inspection program runs through July 1, 1999. If the warranted heat exchanger needs replacing, Lennox will provide a new heat exchanger at no cost to the owner. Labor costs for replacement parts are not part of the Pulse furnace warranty.

Thanks Larry. That is what I was referring to in my other post above.

That is correct.

I had one last year and chased it down with a local HVAC contractor.

The unit was still functioning well.

They recommended annual heat exchanger testing.

I informed the client and recommended the installation of CO detectors. Done

Greg,
I think you have your info. Mine was an 88 model so it fell into that catagory. The recalls could have been done. Any furnace of that age I always recommend getting it serviced and inspected. Oh, and I did find a gas leak on the control valve. So much for not needing a gas detector huh??

Thanks guys - the buyer is a 70 yo widow and I want to help her all I can -