Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Inspecting HVAC Systems

Notices

Inspecting HVAC Systems Topics include heating, venting, and air conditioning inspections.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10/12/12, 9:16 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Mismatched System

I saw a 2 ton goodman condenser unit paired with a 3.5 ton intertherm air handler unit. The goodman was manufactured in 2008 and is a straight cool. The Air Handler was manufactured in 2005 and is an electric furnace. The house is 1566 living area. The size differential seems to be a problem but the 2 ton cooling capcity seems acceptable, but I am looking for advice on how to word this in my report. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old 10/13/12, 5:10 PM
InterNACHI Member

Please Note: rspermo is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Mismatched System

Is the coil 3.5 tons? If it is it is probably not matched with the condenser. Ask the manufacturer if they match. I would report what you find and refer it to a licensed HVAC contractor.

I would also never comment on the acceptability of the size with reference to the house without doing an approved load calculation. I think commenting on the size of the A/C unit could lead to legal difficulty at a later date if challenged about your conclusions.