My son converting from oil to gas

My son is thinking of converting from an oil fired boiler to a natural gas fired boiler. The attached picture is the plate from the current oil furnace. can anyone tell me how to estimate the equivalent size NG boiler?

Jim

Not sure bout size but i believe you can not use chimney that was once used for oil and then use gas in it. Must have a liner put in it or B- vent. Just a FYI on it to consider

It tells you the BTU rating on the tag. Depending on the age and condition you could estimate the efficiency. Lets say it’s 60% and the new gas is 80% you could get a new one that is smaller.

Why convert?

Lets say the oil boiler is 80% and the new gas boiler is 90%. If you use $2000.00 of oil a year you would save $200.00 a year. A new gas boiler — $4000.00, it would take 20 years to break even! Run the oil boiler into the ground!

Probably around 250.000 btu gas burner with the difference in efficiency. While 144,000 BTUs per gallon, gas 100,000 approximately. Says you got a 2.5 gallon,it would be best to have a licensed technician look at it. Yes… Line the flue years of oil soot in the chimney will likely turn acidly with gas.
you would be better to change the whole system to a newer boiler likely a lot smaller of the unit depending how old system is .

Because we have a abundance of NG and to be energy independent all oil burners need to go and all diesel trucks including mine need to be on CNG:D:D

then we be saying Charlie has gas;-)

We all, US of A have enough NG to last the next 100 years why not use it instead of buying oil from the place with all the sand.

And yes Charley has gas and lots of it:shock: but mine is not natural its MFG:p

[quote=“cbottger, post:9, topic:86953”]

We all, US of A have enough NG to last the next 100 years why not use it instead of buying oil from the place with all the sand.

And yes Charley has gas and lots of it:shock: but mine is not natural its MFG:p
/QUOTE]

Natural gas is a big problem in the NE. We don’t have the infrastructure to handle the demand and many industrial businesses had to lay employees off last winter due to the spike in costs. Couple of paper companies up Marcel’s way had to close down because they couldn’t afford the gas.
Don’t think it has effected residential to bad but it’s getting worse. We need more pipelines up here but they won’t do it unless their guaranteed a minimum amount.

I am going to convert too. I can’t take another year of the oil Bill.

I bet Charlie if they could harness you and me the kitty litter over sea’s would be in trouble selling oil:shock:

Preppers like propane. Lasts forever.

If you can get it when it comes time to refill.

Space heating appliances are easy to convert from Nat gas to propane.

Nope that is silly propane is delivered in a truck and if there are no trucks and no roads what would be the advantages of propane. You will be converting back to wood and starting your fires by rubbing two sticks together:shock:

Preppers like wood better than propane. Propane is second best though because it will get you through the crisis without relying on public utility companies, can power a propane-fired generator, and you can store it without fear of it going bad (like gasoline does).

I can buy VP gas with no ethanol in it for around 600 for a 55 gallon drum.
Great if you need to store gas for long periods of time.