Refrigerant Locking Caps

If you inspect in a jurisdiction that has adopted the 2009 International Code refrigeration (air conditioning) gauge ports now require locking caps.

IRC
1M1411.6 Locking access port caps. Refrigerant circuit access
ports located outdoors shall be fitted with locking-type tamper-
resistant caps.

When did we become an enforcement agency?

How is this a significant adverse condition that affects the safety and integrity of the structure we are inspecting?

Thanks for the info…how we use it is up to us.

Thanks for the info what do the caps look like who has the keys homeowner or EPA;-):wink:

http://www.denverwinair.com/product/flyers/Locking_Refrigeration_Caps.pdf

here you go

they’re huffer deterrents according to uproar

the problem is probably more under the counter related and kids being used to tug code writer heartstrings

ya can’t fix stupid or legislate thieves and these will not stop refrigerant stealing

keys for anyone, under $20…

they’re huffer deterrents according to uproar

the problem is probably more under the counter related and kids being used to tug code writer heartstrings

ya can’t fix stupid or legislate thieves and these will not stop refrigerant stealing when anyone can buy a universal key…DOH!!!

under $20…

Looks like a racket to me wonder who in the epa has a brother in law that MFG those locks and keys. Appears to be just another tax A## Ho!! anyway

*Effective February 2009,
The IMC and IRC now require that all outdoor access ports be made tamper resistant.

**Is there some reason I haven’t seen a single one? It is after 2009 isn’t it?

At least they make them in two pretty colors!

I guess if you don’t have these, some *** hole parent will sue you over their huffing kid getting hurt!

Sorry, but you can’t stop STUPID!

That is exactly what happened. The manager of a Davenport contracting firm purchased over a 1,000 of the silver universal caps and is installing them on all installs they did on 2009 to date on their accounts. They are recommending on invoice on all older installs that the caps be installed.

They don’t show up on an IR Camera.