Vent question

Here’s an odd one - the vent leaves the oil-fired boiler, enters the concrete foundation wall and comes up next to the house. It then turns and enters the chimney. Aside from the condensation issues and the proximity to the wooden steps, is this allowed?

ext vent.JPG

I don’t see any difference in entering the chimney at this level than running the flue on up to the desired height other than just being a dumb way of doing it. My choice would have been to enter the chimney within the basement. That flue pipe can not help but leak rainwater.

Excellent point. Thanks - :slight_smile:

It’s also subject to damage at this point.

isn’t that some sort of composite siding it is going through? Minimum of 6" to combustibles if it is. Nasty installation at best.:shock:

Old concrete stucco - 1934. Interesting house :slight_smile:

Should it not also be a “B” vent??

Hey Bill,
I’m sure you guys have discovered that there is no limit to the crazy things you find in some homes! I agree with what Charley said. From what I can see in the picture, it should be functionally ok. However, I think we all agree that the design is poor. As evidenced by the rust stains at the base of the pipe, the exposure to the elements has already started to deteriorate the pipe. At the very least, a safe water deflection system should be installed to help keep the area dry. Best case scenario would be to have the homeowner consult a local chimney professional about retro-fitting the pipe installation correctly within the basement, as Charles had suggested.
Jae, to answer your question, Type B gas vent is for venting listed natural gas or liquid propane Category I appliances. The appliances listed below typically, but not always, use Type B gas vent systems:
• Furnaces • Water Heaters
• Boilers • Room Heaters
• Decorative Gas Appliances
• Floor Furnaces • Unit Heaters

Have a great day guys! -Tom