Water heater vent ducting...need advice

Metal ducting leads up to …what looks like an older asbestos vent piping.
Should this be called out…( that the asbestos vent pipe should removed ) and replaced with current duct materials?

David

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x296/dawlita/Nachi/chris078.jpg

It’s probably Transite and looks in good condition. I would mention it’s presence only, but would definately report on the improper mounting/brackets attempting to hold it in place. Is that twine???

“The vent includes a Transite pipe, which is comprised of a solid, cement-like material that is known to contain asbestos fibers. Admittedly, these fibers could not easily escape from within the material, but the majority of heat vents, and certainly those that pass through attics, are required to be double-walled, or Type-B. And, as an imperceptible crack in a single-walled vent pipe could result in a fire, we recommend that the Transite pipe be replaced with a modern double-walled type.”

Nice comment Joe, but I don’t think I agree completely with it. I don’t have time to look it up now, but I believe your requirement applies to metal vent material only. Even so, I would consider adding your comment to my report, depending upon more information of it’s condition, as a suggestion vs a recommendation, for safety of course.

The underlined is an important comment with transite pipe.

Thanks Jeff…

Thanks Joe…Im going to save this info.

Thanks larry…

And EPA says:

Thanks Michael…Im going to save all this info.

Modern standards identify B-vents as “double-walled steel vents,” but the Transite piping used in these applications were (at that time) classified as “Listed B-vents.”

The biggest concern (for me) is the potential for cracks that cannot be seen, but will allow heat to escape. For this reason, I always recommend replacement as a “recommended safety upgrade.”

Thanks Jeff. I wasn’t aware of the Transite classification being a “B-vent” (at the time).

Another concern, would be the exposure to elements above the roofline, but the OP didn’t comment on that.

Something else to consider.

The ground doesn’t shake so much in the midwest Jeff Pope. :wink:

Do you know of cracks appearing in transite if it has not been subjected to mechanical impact?

It was use around here sub slab heating duct but since it is considered non friable creating air born particles is difficult unless it is crushed.

I make the client aware of the issue but do not recommend replaceent if it does not appear subject to mechnical damage. YMMV

That’s true, and based on the damage caused in that Virgina tremor last week, it seems the rest of the country is a “third-world country” with regard to seismic requirements :smiley:

I couldn’t believe the extent of the damage caused by that little shaker.

Many people are surprised that there are actually significant fault lines running throughout the US, including one that runs right below NYC not too far from me. But the ones in CA are much more active and severe. You would probably never know it unless you looked at a USGS/FEMA seismic risk map.

I felt it on Long Island, NY … it shook my house a bit … :shock:

They can be quite shocking (pardon the pun ;)), but anything under a 6.0 doesn’t get much attention out here…

Yea, you CA guys get shakers hourly … :shock: … http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Maps/US10/32.42.-125.-115.php. My cousin lives in San Diego and says you just get used to it … :slight_smile:

Other areas much less frequently … like every 50-100 years. Just goes to show ya that it’s only a matter of time before a quake hits home. I was just surprised that a quake almost 400 miles away shook my house.