Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Ancillary Inspection Services & Additional Topics

Notices

Ancillary Inspection Services & Additional Topics Contains discussions about Radon, Wood Infestation, Water Quality, Well, Septic, Lead, Asbestos, Pool, and Mold inspections.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3/6/13, 9:37 PM
InterNACHI Member

Please Note: ldapkus1 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Home Warranties and Appliance Inspections

Any suggestions for a good home warranty or appliance recall service? I know there is a lot of discussion in the members only section, but some of my clients have asked about the different types and providers and I would like to send them where they can get fair, unbiased opinions. Thanks!!!

Last edited by ldapkus1; 3/7/13 at 4:55 AM..
Need a home inspection in Massachusetts? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Massachusetts certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 3/6/13, 9:45 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: Home Warranties and Appliance Inspections

There's been some Hoosier selling some kind of "Free" appliance recall service hanging around in the members only section. Not sure if he'll appear from behind the curtain though.

CBC HOME INSPECTIONS

Christopher Currins
Professional Home Inspector In Edwardsville, Glen Carbon, Godfrey, Maryville,
Fairview Heights, O'Fallon and surrounding areas of S
outhern Illinois

We Make It Safer
Old 3/6/13, 9:51 PM
InterNACHI Member

To start with, there is the CPSC website and the WeMakeItSafer website which is a fantastic consumer product recall site that will actually immediately check for recalls and will also run periodically future checks, and sent you email notices of the check results, all for FREE!!! No cost what-so-ever! No telemarketers trying to sell you stuff! No SPAM emails! Truely FREE!
Old 3/6/13, 9:59 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccurrins View Post
There's been some Hoosier selling some kind of "Free" appliance recall service hanging around in the members only section. Not sure if he'll appear from behind the curtain though.
I heard it's not really free. The homeowner has to sign up for some kind of home alarm system thingy or the inspector pays the fee but tries to hide the charges within his own fee's, or something like that. Seems unethical to me, but admittedly, I don't know all the facts first hand so this is just all my opinion of what I have heard. I tried going to their website to get more information, but the website wanted me to "sign-up" before it would allow me more information. It wouldn't even show me any of the inspectors it claims are the "best" so I could see if there was one in my area I could talk with.

It all just seems very fishey to me, and I have to wonder what they are trying to hide. Since the owner of that company is on this MB what seems like all the time, I suppose he will be here to contribute to the discussion. Nathan Thornberry and RecallChek is his and the company name.
Old 3/7/13, 5:09 AM
InterNACHI Member

Please Note: ldapkus1 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonas View Post
I heard it's not really free. The homeowner has to sign up for some kind of home alarm system thingy or the inspector pays the fee but tries to hide the charges within his own fee's, or something like that. Seems unethical to me, but admittedly, I don't know all the facts first hand so this is just all my opinion of what I have heard. I tried going to their website to get more information, but the website wanted me to "sign-up" before it would allow me more information. It wouldn't even show me any of the inspectors it claims are the "best" so I could see if there was one in my area I could talk with.

It all just seems very fishey to me, and I have to wonder what they are trying to hide. Since the owner of that company is on this MB what seems like all the time, I suppose he will be here to contribute to the discussion. Nathan Thornberry and RecallChek is his and the company name.
That's sad Jeff. I thought we were here to help each other, and in turn, help our clients.
So is this an insurance company that is offering these services? Isn't this sort of service regulated by the individual states in which we conduct business?
Am I, as a home inspector, required to be registered with my state to provide these services?
How can this service be "free" if it offers such great benefits?
I have done appliance inspections and they take a minimum of 1/2 hour to complete. I have found that We Make It Safer is a cost saving system our clients can use for free. They also provide free weekly updates and a free monthly newsletter!!!