New Hampshire septic inspection

Here’s a typical New Hampshire drywell that is still functioning. This system was installed in the late 1960s just before traditional stone and pipe systems were developed. The state of New Hampshire will no longer allow these systems to be repaired so once they go into failure a new system must be designed, approved by the state and installed by licensed contractors. A typical system can start at 10K, making it probably the most expensive single component to a home.

One of the most important aspects of my septic inspection is the tank cover. The one pictured here is in good condition but I have seen many covers that have deteriorated over time. Concrete covers will, over time, crack, especially where the steel handle is attached. The steel will corrode, expand and crack the cover. This poses an extreme safety hazards for my clients. As you can see, this cover is at grade. If someone stood on a cover similar to this that was deteriorated it could collapse and that person could become trapped inside the tank.

For more information on New Hampshire Septic Inspections please visit
www.nhsepticinspection.com

NH drywell.jpg

NH drywell.jpg

Scagliotti 012 (Small).jpg

NH drywell cover at grade.jpg

Here is another example of a New Hampshire dry well, unfortunately a bad example.
The dry well"s original cover was damaged and the pieces are inside the well. Also, this well is approximately 8-10 feet deep and as seen in the pictures the majority of it is full of debris. At some point in time an overflow pipe and trench was installed to handle excess effluent. Note the height of the staining on the inlet pipe, obviously this system has been filled to capacity more than once.
My recommendation was, although the system is not technically in failure, it was rated as poor and upgrade is advised.

For more information please visit www.nhsepticinspection.com

Drywell A.jpg

Drywell C.jpg

Drywell B.jpg

Overflow trench.jpg