Radon Mitigation incorrect install

I am already calling this install because it terminate only 6 feet off the ground. What about the materials and screws? I thought it had to be be glued PVC (what class?) The off switch is in the basement. Issue?

DSC05052_edited.JPG

There should not be an off switch it should run 24/7/365. As to the materials/screws, I’ve not seen them before but don’t know what the issue would be with them. You are just moving air, and it’s not really a restriction to that.

Is the height an issue? (honest question) It’s not a fireplace chimney, and the idea is to vent soil gases outside, and this does that, and there doesn’t appear to be any issue with them “pooling” or re-entering the home.

I think if I saw this, I likely just recommend a radon test to confirm it was working properly to reduce the levels in the home.

All installations I have seen here in SW ohio terminated the system above the roof.

I have seen the installation instructions on a couple of installs that require such a termination.

Was it approved by a local AHJ…permit required?

Definitely a violation with regards to the exhaust point. I see two easy violations, the exhaust has to be above the eave and 10’ from the ground (minimum industry, EPA, and ASTM standards.)

I think that the Colorado Radon Office would love to know more (Chrys.Kelley@state.co.us) (303) 692-3442, especially if this is a typical install for this so-called professional.

Any chance the homeowner did the work and didn’t know better? All mitigation professionals should know better.

Shawn Price

http://radon.com
http://radon-pro.com

Thanks ya’ll for your replies! There are definite standards that must be adhered to when mitigating radon. This is why we should always recommend CERTIFIED mitigation contractors who adhere to the US EPA Radon Mitigation Standards, usually certified through the NEHA. I was looking to be thorough in my reporting (still concerned about materials and electric) but, you are right Shawn, it is already wrong on the height so I can just write it up to recommend the entire install be evaluated by a qualified professional.

Following protocol is important. I’ve picked up about 5 MEASUREMENT redos this year because the first inspector was not certified and either the Realtor, Bank and/or re-lo company made them re-do it!

And yes, I think I will forward this to the state, not that they can MAKE people use qualified contractors, just recommend it!

As far as I can see the height is an issue. It can be venting right into soffit vents that are possibly above. Hard to tell in the picture but I would check local regualtions. It also seems to not be 10 feet above ground level.

One issue that seldom gets mentioned… unless the termination is such that it prevents moisture entry- and this one is sort of like that- radon systems should be installed in a configuration similar to a drip leg which prevents moisture form going down the outflow pipe and right into the fan and shortening its lifespan.

Lazy install job.
If that was an acceptable way to install them they would never go to the roof level …what about radon entering attic through soffits and the into bath venting?