Radon Testing: Monitor vs. Canister

What do people prefer the monitor or canisters? I see some inspectors do the continuous monitor style test and others do the canister style. My second question is if using the canister style test has anyone ever run into the seller/buyer wanting to do the test themselves?

Radon testing requires a State license in most areas. There is protocol for both testing devices canisters and monitors.

Monitors have tamper devices, some have temperature, humidity and pressure features.

Buyers/Sellers typically have no clue about the testing protocol.

I use continuous monitors, follow the protocol, and I am licensed.

Do a message board search. There are many threads about radon. You can also check www.radon.com Several states require education, fees, and licensing of radon testers and mitigators. I use Air-Chek charcoal test kits. Continuous monitors are expensive, and you have to buy or rent them, and they require calibration every year. If you do a lot of radon testing, use them. If not, you can use the charcoal kits: you have to use two of them for real estate transactions. Contact Shawn at Air-Chek, or your local state agency.

Individual home owners can by radon test kits at most major hardware stores. Follow the directions. Some of these do require a testing fee when you send them in for testing. Read the labels. As of July 1, 2011, you have to be licensed in Kansas to do radon testing.

Michael I also have been using the products and service kits from http://www.radon-pro.com/ They are very fast on the turn around for the results.:cool:

Thanks for the responses it sounds like most do not use monitors unless they do alot of radon testing. Thanks for the links, I will have to look into my specific state requirements as far as being licensed.

Michael
In 2000, I was using E-Perms and Sun Nuclear.
Started with 2 Sun Nuclears and 20 E-Perm Canisters
Sold all of my E-Perm equipment about 3 years back.
Now have 10 Sun Nuclear 1027
no regrets …
:slight_smile:

Let me google that for you.

LOL
so we just email you, and you will google it for us? That was pretty slick BTW;-)

lmao :smiley:

use what you feel comfortable with and what you can afford.