Well Quantity Test

How do you perform a well quantity test? I have purchased a meter through Nachi/Tv to perform the test, but want to make sure my reports are accurate. What I have pieced together through the limited research available is: Hooking the meter to the water supply I will check every half hour to mark the pressure and ensure the well hasn’t run dry. Is there an average setting (gallons per minute) that I will be settling the unit to, or are the settings required by each town or per the specs/needs of each house? Also, what do I consider a definitive result? My guess is that I run the unit at the correct GPM for an hour or two, mark that the pressure is the same and has not dropped, and the well has not run dry. I can then report the well quantity sufficient. If it does run dry in that time is there a formula to figure what the actual quantity is, or do I just report the well quantity insufficient? If no one has used a meter, an explanation of the bucket method would be helpful as well. Thanks

I thought the “bucket method” was a form of birth control.

One thing you don’t want to do is to let the well run dry. It can damage the pump. I start out at 3 gpm, check it every 20 mins and if it gets below 2gpm I shut it off and note the time. I will run it for 2 hours if it stays above 2gpm. I use a bucket.

For most properties that I encounter with a Well, there is also a Septic System.
Our recommendation is for a Hydraulic Load Test of the Septic using the Well.
Test the Capacity of the Well in addition to the condition of the Septic at the same time.

Joe, when you do a septic inspection with hydraulic loading do you inspect the EDA before loading? Also, do you dig up the D box and inspect that before loading as well.

Going to my field exam today, inspecting 4 systems. Taking my written exam next week and hopefully will have my evaluators license.

I took INACHIs septic course and it was very good compared to the one offered here in NH. We are not required to be licensed but some think it will be coming soon. The state of NH just past legislation that septic systems can no longer be repaired and all systems must be replaced when failure occurs.

I’m interested in how things are done in other states.