Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Plumbing Inspections

Notices

Plumbing Inspections Contains discussions about plumbing.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5/3/07, 1:02 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Air Admittance Valves

I've been running into these plumbing vent valves a lot recently, the kind that do not require roof penetration, and I'm curious to know from some more seasoned inspectors what they think of them. Are these kind of venting valves okay under a kitchen sink or in the attic?

Here's a good picture of them.

Thanks.
Old 5/3/07, 4:43 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: Air Admittance Valves

They are a mechanical valve and, therefore, subject to failure. Check your local codes to see if they are allowed. IRC says they're okay, UPC does not recognize them.

IF YOUR INSPECTOR IS NOT USING THERMAL IMAGING, YOU'RE NOT GETTING THE WHOLE PICTURE
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
Santa Clarita CA
(661) 212-0738
Santa Clarita Home Inspection
http://www.MyInspector.net

Old 5/3/07, 7:04 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpope
They are a mechanical valve and, therefore, subject to failure. Check your local codes to see if they are allowed. IRC says they're okay, UPC does not recognize them.

Jeff, you bring up a good point here.

Maine does not allow Mechanical vents as of last year. How would we address the fact of it's existance in dwellings before the Code change?

Since we are not Code Officers, how does it get addressed in the report?

Could we look at it as a Safety issue?
Point out that it is no longer accepted by the Building Plumbing Code and needs to be upgraded?

What are your thoughts on that subject?

Thanks

Marcel
Old 5/3/07, 7:28 PM
InterNACHI Member

CA does not allow them, although some local jurisdictions do. Here is one of my standards when I see these. You might be able to modify it for your state.

Quote:
The drain-waste-vent system (DWV) employs a mechanical vent, also known as an air-admittance valve or AAV. This application may have been approved by this local jurisdiction, however, you should be aware that this type of system is not recognized by California Building Officials as an approved vent system. Although they may function as intended, AAV's are a mechanical component, and as such, they are subject to failure over time. Failure of these mechanical vents may allow sewer gases to escape into the attic or living space, which would result in potentially hazardous and unhealthy conditions. If, at any time, you notice an odor consistent with waste or sewage, you should immediately contact a qualified plumber to evaluate the AAV's.
I think it's a bit of a stretch to call it as a "safety" issue, unless they are not functioning.

IF YOUR INSPECTOR IS NOT USING THERMAL IMAGING, YOU'RE NOT GETTING THE WHOLE PICTURE
Jeff Pope
Santa Clarita CA
(661) 212-0738

Old 5/3/07, 7:43 PM
InterNACHI Member

Thanks Jeff, that was a lot of help.

Marcel
Old 5/3/07, 8:18 PM
InterNACHI Member

Just ran into my first AAV in an attic this week on a 3 inch vent set me back on my heels for a moment used to seeing them on sinks not in the attics here; darn Plumbers connot find a good one any more all they want to do is take short cuts. Maybe we should all turn the clocks back and start using outhouses again????
Old 5/3/07, 9:42 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpope
Here is one of my standards when I see these. You might be able to modify it for your state.
It may be worthy to add the smell (rotten eggs) of hydrogen sulfide, or "sewer gas" to your list of odors.

One of the problems with hydrogen sulfide is that, after a few whiffs, it will deaden the olfactory nerves (sense of smell) and while still being in high concentrations, it becomes odorless.

Hydrogen sulfide effects are also cumulative and, repeated exposures even to small levels, have been known to cause neurological damage.

The nose not always knows.
Old 5/3/07, 9:57 PM
InterNACHI Member

I might just do that. Thanks James. . .

Jeff Pope
Santa Clarita CA
(661) 212-0738

Old 5/4/07, 9:08 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: homebild is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

It is not unusual that you should be seeing air admittance valves on plumbing vents in Oklahoma since Oklahoma has adopted the International Plumbing Code and the plumbing provisions of the International Residential Code statewide.

Both the IPC and IRC plumbing provisions allow air admittance valves on all vents except for pneumatic sewage ejectors, except on the required one 3" vent that penetrates the roof as a main vent, and where local codes restrict or forbid AAV use.

AAVs are also allowed in Maine jurisdictions and elsewhere that have adopted the IPC and IRC plumbing provisions.

To see which ICC Codes, if any your state or municipal jurisidction have adopted, click the state on the ICC map link here:

http://www.iccsafe.org/government/adoption.html

Last edited by homebild; 5/4/07 at 9:12 PM..
Old 5/5/07, 6:23 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbottger
Just ran into my first AAV in an attic this week on a 3 inch vent set me back on my heels for a moment used to seeing them on sinks not in the attics here; darn Plumbers connot find a good one any more all they want to do is take short cuts. Maybe we should all turn the clocks back and start using outhouses again????
How much you wanna bet that valve was installed post contruction after some moron completed the roof without the penetration? May not be the plumbers fault!
</IMG>
Old 5/6/07, 9:10 AM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoagland
How much you wanna bet that valve was installed post contruction after some moron completed the roof without the penetration? May not be the plumbers fault!
</IMG>
I will bet anything you have to loose.
The home was a 100 years in age and had been gutted in 1995 with a new bathroom installed in the original part of the home the plumber just did not want to cut a hole in the roof. Would of been very easy in that location of the roof that is why they started making hole saws and sawzalls?????
</IMG>
Old 5/6/07, 1:12 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebild
It is not unusual that you should be seeing air admittance valves on plumbing vents in Oklahoma since Oklahoma has adopted the International Plumbing Code and the plumbing provisions of the International Residential Code statewide.

Both the IPC and IRC plumbing provisions allow air admittance valves on all vents except for pneumatic sewage ejectors, except on the required one 3" vent that penetrates the roof as a main vent, and where local codes restrict or forbid AAV use.

AAVs are also allowed in Maine jurisdictions and elsewhere that have adopted the IPC and IRC plumbing provisions.

To see which ICC Codes, if any your state or municipal jurisidction have adopted, click the state on the ICC map link here:

http://www.iccsafe.org/government/adoption.html

Back to Codes

StateIPCIRCUPCNSPC
Approval Status

as of 8/ 2006

AlabamaXX
Approved

AlaskaX
Not approved

ArizonaX
Approved

ArkansasX
Approved

CaliforniaX
Partial approval

ColoradoXX
Approved

ConnecticutX
Approved

DelawareXX
Approved

D.C.XX
Approved

FloridaX
Approved

GeorgiaXX
Approved

HawaiiX
Not approved

IdahoX
Not approved

Illinois
Not approved

IndianaXX
Approved

IowaX
Not approved

KansasXX
Partial approval

Kentucky
Not approved

Louisiana
Not approved

MaineXX
Partial approval

MarylandX
Approved appendix "E"
2005 edition

Massachusetts
Not approved

MichiganXX
Approved

Minnesota
Not Approved

MississippiXX
Approved

MissouriX
Partial approval

MontanaX
Not approved

NebraskaXX
Not approved

NevadaX
Partial approval

New HampshireX
Approved

New JerseyX
Approved appendix "E"
2005 edition

New MexicoX
Not approved

New YorkXX
Approved except NYC

North CarolinaXX
Approved

North DakotaX
Not approved

OhioX
Approved

OklahomaX
Approved

OregonX
Not approved

PennsylvaniaXX
Approved except
Philadelphia

Rhode IslandXX
Approved

South CarolinaXX
Approved

South DakotaX
Partial approval

TennesseeX
Approved

TexasXXX
Partial approval

UtahXX
Approved

VermontX
Approved

VirginiaXX
Approved

WashingtonX
Partial approval

West VirginiaXX
Approved

WinconsinX
Approved

WyomingXX
Not approved

IPC=Internatinal Plumbing Code IRC=International Residential CodeUPC=Uniform Plumbing Code NSPC=National Standard Plumbing Code

<DIV class=printhide id=u52 style="Z-INDEX: 1000; LEFT: 0px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0px">
Old 5/7/07, 9:13 PM
Active Poster

Please Note: homebild is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Right, Marcel

AAVs are permitted in Maine jurisdictions but ONLY where they are approved by Code..

Both Studor (only one such manufacturer of AAVs) and the ICC Plumbing Codes acknowledge this...

Whether or not AAVs can be used in Maine depends entirely on the municipality involved.
Old 5/7/07, 9:35 PM
InterNACHI Member

AAVs IMO are great for older homes, but do have their draw backs due to failure, but if that's the only way to vent a sink what are you going to do?

I point them out and educate my client on their limitations and put that into the report. I see nothing wrong with them, I have one in my house.