And the TPR drain ends...

WH on 2nd floor.
TRP drain terminates above floor drain in pic 2.
In storage room in 1/2 bath downstairs.

TPR1-400.jpg

100_1571-400.jpg

hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

What?..you don’t know the words???:slight_smile:

speechless i guess Jae…what do You think about that picture…???

Looks good too me Rick--------:cool:

Curious as to why they would run it all the way through the walls and down another floor when there is a floor drain in the room with the WH?

Because with the pressure from a TPR opening up and a grate on the Flr Drn, well Water Water everywhere.
Looks okay to me too.

Thanks for the responses.

I guess my biggest concern is that they wouldn’t know (couldn’t see) if it was discharging.

Also, don’t know if it makes a difference but there was no grate on the upstaird Flr Drain.

Bold is what concerns me

I see these type of PTR valve installations in Condos.

I simply explain to my clients, why I like to see the PTR termination and note that the PTR valve can not be monitored.

Definitely make a note about the elbows in the PTR extension pipes.

Rick yours is not as cute as mine this one terminated within the shower stall just in case one needed an extra boost of good hot water:D :smiley: :shock: Multiple problems with this one installed by the local Drunk. Installed within an open area of the bathroom PVC on the relief valve into the shower stall, copper whip to the control valve no manual shut off at the appliance and single wall flue vent into the attic with no clearance to combustibles</IMG></IMG></IMG>

4. Be as short and as straight as possible so as to avoid undue stress on the valve.
9. Discharge through a visible air gap (atmosphere) in the same room as the water heater.
14. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by occupants because discharge indicates that something is wrong.

I would love it if that were the case here, but most, if not all, manufacturers approve of 4-6 90° angles. I guess that’s “as straight as possible.”
Rarely in new construction do I see the pipe terminating in the same room as the water heater. They now route them outside, which I don’t like because of #14. Nonetheless, every AHJ in every city here approves of them being terminated outside.

Typical condo weirdness…
At one of my recent condo inspections in a well known large chicago building ( that looks like a setr of corn cobbs), I found the small tank water heaters TPR discharge was a copper flex ( kinked too) that was routed up to disharge into the small ss kitchen sink through what looked like the soap dispenser spigot. Of course i called it out as extremely dangerous and amateurish installation. It appears that every unit in this massive building that was converted was done this way.

I alerted the city plumbing inspectors office. They were pretty shocked and glad i called.

I thought the plumbers union were the big boys up there.:stuck_out_tongue:

Send each and every one of them an INVOICE

Payable to:
ADAIR INSPECTION
1733 GOLIAD DRIVE
GARLAND, TX 75042-4238

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich,
Don’t like to see them outside the room with water heater, but you really can’t get anyone to change the stupid rule. Recently, had the fact that one similar to yours was in accordance with manufacturer’s rec. and the county and the state code. Now what I do is include reasons (As quoted from IRC) and mark it IMO. Sorry, condemnation still ringing in my ears. :twisted: :roll:

I think it should go into the kitty-litter box! :wink:

http://www.nachi.org/waterheaterdischargepipingcoursereleased2007.htm

:cool: