Is this connection incorrect?

Need a confirmation on this as I don’t have my reference material with me and searching on the web isn’t producing clear results.

Shouldn’t this sewage ejector connection be at the top of the gravity drain? And just for future reference, what is the applicable code for that?

Yes. The sump drain/discharge should enter from on top of the main or branch line. The code states that the sump discharge must be lifted above gravity drain.

IRC 3007.2 or UPC 710.2

Appreciate the help.

Looks good to go.
I get suspect to systems when I see the practices being loosely adhered to.
Any excess glue/solder/flux should be wiped clean to avoid cross contamination, erosion, and other degrading or negative actions.

Thanks for the IRC UPC reference Mr. Pope.

Fixtures Below Sewer IRC UPC
n Fixtures to drain by gravity where practical . . . . . . . . . [3007.2.1] {709.0}
n Sump discharge must be lifted above gravity drain . F17 [3007.2] {710.2}
n Connect to horiz gravity drain at top through wye . . . . . F17 [n/a] {710.4}
n Min vent from sump 14in {12in} . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [T3113.4.1] {710.10}
n Sumps shall be fitted with watertight removable covers [3007.2] {710.10}
I rarely see water tight covers.
n Lowest inlet min 2in higher than pump start level. . . . . F15 [n/a] {710.9}
n Min capacity of ejector [1.9ft/sec=14.2GPM] {20GPM} . . [3007.1] {710.3.1}
n Backwater valve req’d on ejector discharge pipe . F16,17 [3007.1] {710.4}
n Gate valve req’d on discharge side of check valve F16,17 [3007.1] {710.4}
n Min 2in discharge piping EXC. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [3007.1] {710.3.2}
14in discharge OK with grinder ejectors . . . . . . . . . . . . [3007.1] {Ø}
n Gravity drains receiving discharge from ejector sized at
12 {2} DFU for each GPM of pump . . . . . . . . . . . . F16 [T3007.1] {710.5}

JMO

I think you missed something Robert!
Connect to horiz gravity drain at top through wye.
It also says where practical and this would be easy on this one.

Would anyone have reported on this if it was at your inspection?

What is the reason for that code?

To help prevent waste from backflowing in a backup situation. If no checkvalve is installed, it could get really ‘sh*tty’ down there! :wink:

But there is a check valve as required and the pit/output drain will always have stuff in it anyway.
Not so sure I understand the big issue other that it may have more a potential to clog the main drain due to the opening being on the side and acting a little bit like an accordion drain in that it disrupts the smooth interior.

Most waste in the main drain will always flow at the bottom half if you think about it.

Simple physics if you think about it - pump up & drain down.

The ejector is a mechanical component, which is subject to failure. If/when it fails, a proper connection will prevent the normal flow of waste from entering through the main waste-line. Imagine for a moment that you are changing out the pump. Which connection would be less likely to sh*t on you?

According to the picture the 1/4 per foot rule was not applied in the application either.
I am now recommending GFCI protection also and if people show concern a back up system.

Well, this thread came back alive while I was away! Who knew sewage could be so interesting. :wink:

The photo does give that appearance, but it was because of the angle I took the pic at. The angle of the drains was the one thing he did get right(Well, mostly:) ).

This was under an addition and the home owner did all his own plumbing so it was quite a web of sanitary tees, flat vents and overnotched joists.

The attached shows my favorite issue from his install.:shock:

Agreed, but you never assume failure as we are all well aware and is the basis of many arguments here.:slight_smile:

None the less the “law of gravity” is a safe assumption for reasoning .

Good find but that is a obvious as can be unless they used clear glue in which it still would be wrong.

:smiley: Keyless entry…

Never a truer word spoken on both parts…

Just curious… Did the connection look loose before you removed it or do you typically check to see all connections are glued? Good find!

It was the lack of the purple primer that made me decide to give it a tug. I do generally “shake the pipes” a little as I go through a home. It’s amazing how many are missed.

Thanks