Is this correct?

I posted these photos previously, without the text. In my opinion, the supply to the water heater should be plumbed separately from the cold water supply to the kitchen. I am not understanding the “T” connection shown at the shut off valve. Opinions would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

pepperdine 002.jpg

pepperdine 003.jpg

John,

As long as each supply has it’s own shut-off.

In the first image you state that the piping supplies the water heater, but the second image shows it going straight up to the floor joist area.

We have our water meters in our basements at the foundation penetration, where’s yours?

that is fine i would be more concerned about the pipe that comes off the tpr walve

I’m with Dave, where is the water meter?
And Ron, I noticed that too.

Main valve and configuration is acceptable, but would expect that there are valves for the domestic, water heater, sink, etc. :slight_smile:

Marcel check the post

Strange Connection by john and you will see the shut offs and the other water pipes for water

I did Ron, and a strange connection indeed, but does not appear to be anything wrong with it other than lack of seeing a water meter.
Appears the water supply is feeding something through the foundation and then up towards the living space with a shut-off.

I guess the insulation needs an upgrade or fixing too!:slight_smile:

Dave,

The cold water pipe does go vertical, but then 90’s to the water heater. Regarding the meter, I searched for the meter and pressure reducing valve. Home is on a slab, I looked along the entire front wall for an access panel, nothing! 20" of snow prevented any exterior work, I would normally find the water vault if necessary. **The valve shown in the photo does control water flow within the home. **Yes, I operated the valve on this inspection. Have been thinking about the “missing” components since the inspection. Listing agent was of no help, sellers had moved out of state. I did call out the TPR discharge pipe and the wall is interior. There is a shut off at the water heater and other locations. Thanks for the input, always appreciated.

At this point the water meter is a crucial find. It can’t be outside the building…it’ll freeze.

I find (trace it down by following the piping) every last water meter no matter what it takes. I can recall locating one water meter (in a slab home) in an attic. I called it out for relocating or a heat wire application.

Dave,

By looking along the front wall I was referring to the interior wall. I agree, the meter had to be somewhere on the property. The attic was inspected, no plumbing. My water meter is located in the vault at the end of my driveway, a sensor is built into the vault cover. Meter reader touches the sensor with a probe to record the water useage. If I hear back from the client, a plumber was recommended, I will post the findings. Thanks again.

it is not so common anymore but we do have some exterior meters here also…underground of course…

You bet. Doesn’t HAVE to be inside like Dave indicated. A few newer subdivisions are putting them outside as well under the metal cover labeled “Water Meter” typically in the front yard. Most of them have a remote sensor attached to the top. Of course snow cover as you indicated would prevent finding this.
Good pics John. I don’t think the routing is necessarily wrong, but may prove more of an inconvenience than necessary to the occupants when it comes time for replacement.

Never seen one. Must be a geographical thing.

99% of water meters in Massachusetts are located in conditioned areas. If not, it’s in the unconditioned garage and a heat wire is a must.

In Chicago many homes have no meter as it is estimated.

Would not call it a defect.

I just tell them to use as much as they can :slight_smile:

Might be perhaps. Can often vary locally as well.

Here’s one on a less than 1 year old house I performed the warranty inspection for.
DSC09872.JPG

I would definitely write up a water meter that was not visible.

I can recall performing a home inspection a few years back where the homeowner somehow moved the water meter location to the supply piping after the boiler and water heater were supplied. He was getting FREE water for the boiler and water heater.

Hmmm…you won’t see those here.

I planned to take a photo of the meter vault cover in my driveway this morning, but it is snowing again! It seems like most inspections this year were completed in the rain or snow. I guess the city row home flat roof will not be visible for inspection later this morning.

In many country areas, the water meter is in the yard. Ours has a connection that allows the meter reader to touch a pad on the lid and download usage information. I have also heard of systems that allow the reader to download usage data from their vehicles. With the meter in the yard, no access to the home is needed and the reader can do the job relatively quickly, particularly in countryville where homes might be fractions of miles apart, and walking a route is not an option.

Same in this area as well. One city does not meter water to homes. Here are pixs of a non metered supply.

Just for informational purposes. In Buffalo NY we still have a portion of old stock homes that have unmetered water supply. Slowly the city’s water department is changing this. The water rate in the city is going up 26% next year.