Corroded Shut-off valves and tail pipes

I see this quite often. Even with no leaks I’ve been calling it out as something that should be monitored in the future. Wondering how others are handling plumbing items like this that are ready to go at any moment. Am I making an assumption?? It could last 4 more years I suppose. Realtor recently approached me about items like this. I’m sure you know what he said:p
IMG_3735.jpg

Why? Corrosion like that is caused by leaking. While it may not be a catastrophic leak it still is worth mentioning in your report. One of the areas we identify are minor issues that can develop into major ones. If you make it an OMG item that may be over the line but otherwise you just did your job.

Why? Corrosion like that is caused by leaking. While it may not be a catastrophic leak it still is worth mentioning in your report. One of the areas we identify are minor issues that can develop into major ones. If you make it an OMG item that may be a little overstated but otherwise you just did your job. I know what you mean though. Had Broker get all bent out of shape at me recently because I called out ancient smoke alarms throughout the house as a recommend for upgrade item. Said he was going to get me blackballed (sounds painful) but so far business has only gotten better. Before the conversation ended though I had him apologizing and desperately trying to get off the phone.

Not just observation.

It is corroded and destined to fail. I’d recommend it to a plumber for evaluation and repair as deemed necessary.

There comes a time in every inspector’s life when he must decide who he works for.

If you find that the salesman wants these valves tested, call a hungry newby and have them check them for you.:wink:

Like Joe said, this isn’t a “monitor” issue. It’s a defect that needs addressed now.

Ask your agent if they would be OK if this was under their sink.

of course - call it out

Thank you for the input. All really great advice.

As james said,

call it out and don’t touch!

It looks like a blister covering infection!

Who cares what anyone says, you are employed by the proposed buyer but if he decides to walk away from the deal.

If you are not prudent, you may end up having to pay for repairs.:slight_smile: