Gas line connected to TPR valve?

This I have not seen before.
The gas line from the wall to the TPR valve then to the gas burner at the bottom of the water heater.
There is no drain pipe routing any water from the TPR valve in case of emergency.
Going to go thru the code book for ****s and giggles.
Just wondering if anyone else has come across this strange setup.
5501 jacinto ave 35.jpg
5501 jacinto ave 31.jpg

That’s a Watts 210-5 gas shutoff valve or similar.

I would write it up. Nice gadget, but no way to test it. It could be defective and no one will know until the water heater goes into orbit.

So do you test the TPR?:stuck_out_tongue:

thanks for the link michael.
The application makes sense just haven’t seen it before.
Used to the old fashioned setup with a discharge pipe routed away from water heater.
thanks for the input:)

so nobody gets the wrong idea, i think the one Jeff pictured is an incomplete/improper install

watts “A pressure relief valve must be installed as shown to prevent excess pressure by thermal expansion. There must be no valve between the relief valve and heater. Relief valve must be piped to a suitable drain.”

the instructions are on the link Mike provided

If you are right I hope I never see one and I hope the have a real TPR along side of it.

Nope…but the homeowner can…and I can see it drip and I can see where it has discharged…

1 Like

The pressure relief valve is usually installed on the water line at the front hose bib. I see them all the time with interior water heaters. I actually prefer the Watts-210 over the traditional TRP valve set up. It actually shuts down the water heater not just letting it blow off steam!

Chuck

Is it working as intended when a TPR valve blows off steam? Or does that mean there is a problem with the water heater?

The Watts valve shuts off the gas if the temperature goes to high.
It must be paired with a pressure relief valve elsewhere. The danger is that someone will remove the pressure valve without understanding why it was placed.

The TPR opens when the temperature OR pressure gets too high.

It’s two methods to the same solution. The Watts valve is used when local codes or the situation make gravity drain of the TPR impractical (but California fixed this with a code compliant way to have a TPR run uphill, and some states allow uphill TPRs).

I had a similar installation to the original poster yesterday. I just see the watts valve. No TPR valve. Do we have a picture of a proper installation that has both valves? How can you make a TPR valve uphill compliant?

https://www.watts.com/dfsmedia/0533dbba17714b1ab581ab07a4cbb521/12155-source}

SEE PAGE 2 for the Manufacturers ONLY approved methods of installation!

The PR can be anywhere in the system, and is typically NOT at the water heater. However best practice is to place that value in sight and leave a permanent marking saying where it is (e.g. “REQUIRED PRESSURE VALVE AT CEILING ABOVE” or “PRESSURE RELEIF AT FRONT SHUTOFF OUTSIDE 6/2011 FRANK”).

The TPR uphill requires a drain so that standing water dribbles out, and won’t rust or clog the TPR. See the California diagram above.

1 Like