illegal trap?

I am thinking this trap is an issue. Your comments appreciated.

Mark , the photo is to non discript for comments.

A little help please.

Sorry, your right.

The water flows in the direction of the red arrows.

The trap kind of forms a 6

It is not technically correct. The outlet pipe should be longer, but I don’t think it is a true S-trap either, because of the larger diameter of the drain. There is not likely to be enough water flow to cause a siphoning action, which is why the S-trap is taboo.
So, yeah it is not technically correct. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hahaha
I must admit I am still confused by the angles.
One is a vent(waste stack) to the roof and is the other from the toilet as it looks like large diameter pipe.
Not basement because it would be going to an ejector.
So are you thinking s trap.

Just a guess , but from lack of other response…(are you good at side view sketches)

Mark, just out of curiosity, what does an in-line trap like that service? Is it like a floor drain or shower?

It is coming from a washing machine stand pipe and enters into a vent/drain, perhaps a wet vent.

Looks fine to me and the washer did a good job on your socks…

Wow!
I never even noticed the foot.

Mark , I was pulling your teeth for details.:slight_smile:

And you call yourself a Professional Home Inspector?? :p:D

Mark,
Looks okay to me too! (The trap… not the foot):wink:

That one may not meet a strict code inspection (but if it’s working OK so what… we’re not doing code inspections):

“A vent pipe that protects a fixture trap shall be located so that the developed length of the trap arm is not less than twice the size of the fixture drain.”

I know that in-line traps are frowned upon. Since the force of water coming down a vertical line directly in to the trap helps push existing water out of the trap. This being on a washer stand pipe it is going to have some force behind it. Can’t find any code that says you can’t do it, but I was always told not too.
Of course, that was back in the stone age when pipe was still a hollowed out tree and put together with tar.

If the first two elbows coming from the inlet were removed it would be the same as a glued up P-Trap, the first two elbows will slow down and restrict the water a little although with the 2" line i dought it will be an issue. The design will hold water in the trap and not let sewer gas eascape. I personally wouldn’t write it up.