What to look for after de-winterized

I’ve checked past post but haven’t found a good answer. I’m inspecting a property that’s being de-winterized for the inspection this Sunday. I was supposed to do it yesterday but it wasn’t ready. What are some things I should be looking for after a home has been de- winterized? Are there common problems unique to these de-winterized homes? Should I be extra careful turning on faucets and such? Thanks for any help.

I had one of those last week. When the local utilities turned on the water, I found two locations in the copper that were leaking. As it turned out both locations were at a lower level than the water meter. It was determined that the contractor who winterized the home, gravity drained the lines, but did not blow out any lines below the water meter allowing them to freeze. Needless to say I was done with the plumbing at that point. The bank had to go after the contractor for the repairs and they hired a plumber to complete the that part of the inspection. I try to schedule my inspections in these cases at the same time the utilities are expected to show. In this case the damage could have been much worse. My client and their agent were very thankful for my find. :slight_smile:

You do the same thing as if the house was never winterized (look for water leaks).

One thing to be aware of is low water pressure/volume from all or different faucet. Especially with galvanized pipe, there is a good chance that the screens will be plugged or partially plugged from the rust and scale from the inside of the pipes.

Properly winterized homes are simply sitting there with “NO WATER” in the plumbing supply lines or heating lines (if equipped with a boiler).

When you get to a de-winterized home, simply make sure that every last water supply and toilet is operational and look for leaks at these areas and then go to the basement/crawl space and check for leaks in supply lines and waste pipes.

Then run the boiler at extreme settings for at least an hour and if there are no signs of leaks anywhere, the house was properly winterized.

I find that 50% of the winterized homes have leaks somewhere within the house.

Thanks for the reply’s. Not much of a difference from any inspection except there is more of a chance of a leak somewhere. I need to take care when I run some plumbing fixtures.

They almost always leak.
Better make sure the re winterizing guy is handy.:slight_smile:

In pa the water company will drop the meter and drain the whole house. Several plumbing companies will offer their version of winterization by turning the shutoff’s off and adding some antifreeze. This is not the correct way. The meter needs to be dropped and the water turned off at the curb then all lines need to be drained, wheter its gravity or air. Explain to your clients that if not properly done the pipes can still leak even after 8 hours of having water re-introduced. Schedule the inspection the day after being turned back on to be safe.