How Many Test Shower Drain Pans...

using the special stopper sold by PE for about $21?

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f2/home-owner-angry-over-shower-pan-test-53170/
http://www.nachi.org/forum/f22/shower-drain-dam-64466/
http://www.nachi.org/forum/f11/shower-pan-testing-stopper-make-yourself-61059/

…but, check with Charley. :smiley:

Had the discussion before many times and I personally call that stressing the system beyond normal .
You have a drain (test) with regular shower.
You have a upper edge where the shower door is and that certainly should not be filled to that point.
What is between the two is a solid wall so there is no point.
You are simply adding water weight (10 pounds per gallon) which would never be there unless the drain is plugged up and needs the sneaky snake.
Plus you are intentionally stressing gaskets and should pay for any damage you cause.

I am the original shower pan terrorist some weeks I have two leakers in one week. For those that don’t ,keep doing what you do ya make me look good;-)

I have used that tool for years, and have NEVER had a single issue while using it PROPERLY.

I recommend you stop in a Dollar Store and pick up a plastic container with lid that the tool will fit perfectly in, to prevent the edges from becoming damaged from being in your toolbag.

And… I completely agree with Charley.

So is you cause damage to the ceiling below what will you tell your clients and will you pay for the damage?
Please state here on the public side what your policy is.

Sure…

If I cause damage to any home that I inspect “DIRECTLY RELATED TO MY NEGLIGENCE AND NOT DUE, OR RELATED TO, OR BECAUSE OF, A DEFECTIVE COMPONENT, OR A COMPONENT THAT FAILED WHILE TESTING, OF THE HOME”, I will happily pay for all repairs of any damage that I caused by my negligence.

Has never happened yet, and I doubt it ever will. I am VERY cautious with all my testing. I am not a “bull in a china shop” inspector. I spend whatever time is necessary to test it properly the first time. My advice to newbies… simply “pay attention” to everything you do and you will avoid the majority of mishaps.

Note: the above mentioned tool is just like any other tool. You must know how to use it properly.

I understand the concept and the purpose of the test. Don’t you think we are still not considering the weight of the person standing in the shower. So I am not sure this test gives me useful information considering how much weight that might be. I have seen bathtubs pull down and out from walls due to weight, and not the water weight.???

I believe Charley’s protocol is to actually take a shower in the suspected unit with the stopper in place thus prviding proper weight load…

We really don’t worry about weight loads in the land of slab on grade foundations. Rare to find a tiled shower stall upstairs. Jim I only shower on Saturday need or not. :wink:

Bob right here in front of the whole world to see I freely and willing state that if I find a tiled shower stall upstairs leaking onto the ceiling below, it is a failed test and requires repair and replace as necessary

Had 2 leaking this month alone , test test test.

Freaking Deal killers…Inspections are to be NON INVASIVE and visual. Don’t run the water, just look at it!

I totally agree, what if this causes damage, now what? I think you should pay! Same with the dishwasher, if it leaks while your testing it you should pay! Didn’t leak when I used it, its your fault!

Same with the AC and heating. Worked fine until you guys touched it! Pay up suckers! Water heater, didn’t leak until that Wayne and Charley showed up…Show me the money!!!

Plain and simple, are showers designed and made to hold water? YES, is the correct answer. Using a tool to check its operational condition is totally acceptable and in my opinion it should be mandatory. To say that “You” caused damage is crazy. I didn’t cause anything, the LEAKING SHOWER PAN caused the water leak, I just tested it.

Now if you overflow the shower, then I can see where there is a problem. But if you put 1-2 inches of water in the shower and it leaks, then the pan is compromised and faulty and should be repaired and all damage from it, is damage caused from a defective item. I see no difference from this and when you turn a dishwasher on and it leaks.

I guess it is a business decision and mine is and will always be to protect the client in the best manner possible. I want my client to know of each and every defect I can uncover BEFORE they purchase the house.

Do whatever you want but I agree that the shower pans should be tested and what harm will it do besides elevate the profession to a higher standard and protect the client a little bit more and well, it could be ALOT more…some showers can cost thousands to replace…

But again, do whatever you want, its your business and its your decision and with everything in here we will never all agree on ANYTHING…

Some just don’t get it why bother they come and go like the wind. Don’t do this ya might cause damage don’t do that ya might cause damage.

Mites are on a chickens A** and might has no place in a home inspection???

Simple truth about home inspections is that you won’t find what you don’t look for.

I test tile showers. If it leaks, I want to find it.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these rubber shower pan testers, I have hunted all over the internet at this point with no luck. I had one and it got damaged and now I can not find another

You can get one at the hardware store. Any flat rubber or silicone will work

Old thread but I am still the shower pan terrorist I find more leaking shower pans than 10 average inspectors combined. :shock:

You might want to consult your E & O insurer about testing shower pans beyond their design limitations. Oh, tell them you call yourself the “shower pan terrorist” too.

I actually care about my clients what about you. Do you actually know what design limitations are or do you shake in your shoes when operating outside of the SOP. E & O insurers don’t sign my pay check my clients do. I don’t have to depend on E & O to keep me out of court. I depend on my ability to perform.

BTW I wished all of my competitors had your attitude. :wink:

1 Like