Mixing valve?

Someone please remind me…is this a mixing valve or a temperature control device of some kind? White is supply, braided is to the single lever lavatory fixture. Anyone have a brand name?
P8132913.JPG

P8132913.JPG

P8132913.JPG

Are you sure it’s not part of a hot water recirc system?

Is it the most remote fixture in the home?

I would need to see more of the pic ,myself.
Where does the top white go?

Well, I’m actually posting this for a fellow inspector so I didn’t see it 1st hand. It looks too small to be the end of a recirc system to me but I suppose it could be. But that wouldn’t make sense would it? Why would you connect the Hot & Cold together at the end of a recirc system. No, more I think about it, that’s not it I don’t think.

The two white lines are the hot and cold supply lines, the two braided lines go to the fixture.

Michael B,

Looks like a distribution manifold, may have been installed because the actual mixing valve faucet fixture is defective.

Ask him/her if it had distinguishable HOT and COLD at the fixture.

In-line mixing valves typically have a control knob or other means of stting the temperature/H C flow

http://news.thomasnet.com/images/large/480/480391.jpg

With this new info I agree, not likely a recirc system.

Let us know if you ever find out what it is.

I knew it looked familiar but I didn’t have time earlier.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/rewilliams_2014_132161099

The comfort system pump is installed on your existing hot water heater “hot water line”. The system puts hot water in the hot water line instantly, using a pump with a built-in timer at the water heater and a patented bypass valve at the point of use.

Comfort valve installed under the farthest faucet from the water heater. The hot water recirculation pump moves the hot water from the heater throughout the pipe back to the heater through the cold water line. As the water heats up at the comfort valve, it closes. When a faucet is turned on, warm water is instantly available for use with no waste.

Me too but danged if I could find the thread from a couple of months ago where this was discussed. So, with this info then it does appear to be a part of a recirculation system. The device in my photo looks very similar only smaller than the one in your photo. Still, it does look like that is what it is. Thanks!

Your welcome.

I remember that thread too. :wink:

I forgot that this device has a back check in it to prevent the cold and hot mixing cold to hot. This does mean that hot water will come out of the cold for a bit though. I would think that would be annoying on a long run.

of water but there will be heat lost continually if this system is designed to constantly keep water warm near the taps. In the winter not too bad of a scenario in a heated space but in the summer will add to the A/C costs.

I have consulted on a house with a similar system but with no timed or other controls. Until I get a separate meter of the tank, I can just guess what the continual losses are…but my first guess is somewhere between 1-2 kW!! up here that’s $2.50 -$5.00 per day!!!

Not to mention that you still waste heated water until the water reaches desired temp at the end. But hey you do have instant hot at the faucet.

Brian, what you quoted is not mine but the manufacturers lines.

I too think a timer is the better way to go.

Sorta thought that!! Was trying to post quickly and get to bed…12:38 AM up here!!

G’night!!