Natural Gas Dryer in Bathroom

I know its not permitted, but why?

It’s quite common in condos and apartments. What makes you think it’s not permitted?

It’s quite common in mid-size homes, as well, particularly those of about 2,500 SF down in Chula Vista, which is still booming. They tend to have 2½ baths, but that ½ bath is overly large since it is also the laundry room.

There’s a joke in here somewhere…

You mean gas fired water heaters?

Here’s the copy from the 2000 IRC:
G2406.2 (303.3) Prohibited locations. Fuel-fired appliances
shall not be located in, or obtain combustion air from, any of the
following rooms or spaces:

1. Sleeping rooms.
  2. Bathrooms.
  3. Toilet rooms.
  4. Storage closets.
    Exceptions:
  5. Direct-vent appliances that obtain all combustion air
    directly from the outdoors.
  6. Vented room heaters, wall furnaces, vented decorative
    appliances and decorative appliances for installation
    in vented solid fuel-burning fireplaces, provided that
    the room is not a confined space and the building is not
    of unusually tight construction.
  7. A single listed wall-mounted unvented room heater
    equipped with an oxygen depletion safety shutoff
    system and installed in a bathroom provided that the
    input rating does not exceed 6,000 Btu per hour
    (1760W/hr) and the bathroom is not a confined space.
  8. A single listed wall-mounted unvented room heater
    equipped with an oxygen depletion safety shutoff system
    and installed in a bedroom provided that the input
    rating does not exceed 10,000Btu per hour (2930W/hr)
    and the bedroom is not a confined space.
  9. Appliances installed in a dedicated enclosure in which
    all combustion air is taken directly from the outdoors,
    in accordance with Section G2407.11. Access to such
    an enclosure shall be through a weather-stripped solid
    door equipped with an approved self-closing device.

Well, most model codes do not address clothes-dryer locations specifically. They are generally held to manufacturers installation instructions. Although their exhaust/vent systems are covered by codes.

You’ll notice dryer hook-ups in garages without any means to raise the dryer as required for furnaces and water heaters.

Here’s what the IRC says. . .

**G2438.1 (613.1) General. **Clothes dryers shall be tested in accordance with ANSI Z21.5.1 and shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

Jeff, dryers, both ng and electric, are required to have ignition source 18 inches above the floor.

Dryers are not required to be raised when located in the garage here in my territory because they are considered “attended” appliances. Consequently, as Jeff said, other than the venting system, they fall under the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

I agree that they should be, but they are not required to be by the model codes. Russell is on the right track here.

Appliances, addressed by model codes, are those that are part of the necessary equipment of a home - water heaters and furnaces are examples of necessary equipment.

Clothes washers/dryers, microwave ovens, ranges and such are not considered necessary and therefore, they are held to manufacturers installation instructions.

What does “Model Codes” Mean?

In the IRC 2003 the definition of Appliance is “A device or apparatus that is manufactured and designed to utilize energy and for which this code provides specific requirements.”

Apparatus is defined as: equipment designed to serve a specific function

I’m not sure how a gas dryer installed in a bathroom or a closet directly connected to a bathroom does not fall under G2406.2 (303.3) Prohibited locations in the IRC book.

I would think that going to by the stricter code would be wiser.

rrayQuote:

Dryers are not required to be raised when located in the garage here in my territory because they are considered “attended” appliances. Consequently, as Jeff said, other than the venting system, they fall under the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

Attended appliance? Turn the dryer on and the burner comes on and turns off as needed. It doesn’t sound any different than a furnace except the burner on a furance is normally easier for a home owner to see.

I’m still not sure how G2406.2 (303.0) does not apply.

Any help to get a better understanding would be great.

Kevin,

“Model Codes” is simply a reference to the most recognized codes (such as the IRC or UBC), which are used as “models” for jurisdictions throughout the country. Many localities use these codes to “model” their own requirements for building standards.

Once the furnace has turned off, one doesn’t go to see. Once the dryer turns off, one goes to see if the clothes are dry. Hence, “attended.”

So, what about a bathroom with a fan only. The potential for dimished combustion air supply could create conditions conducive to carbon monoxide. Hence, no gas dryer in a bathroom.
You opinion now is…

no different. . .

In fact, my wife and I just purchased an investment condo with this exact setup.

I understand what was written before and agree that it is allowed but I think gas dryers should also be excluded in those areas.

I would think the gas dryer is a bigger safety factor than a new 80+ furnace (Remove the lint, turn the dryer on and unload the dryer is about all that most homeowners do). Furnaces get serviced much more over its life time than a gas dryer.

O-well, life goes on. I hope:shock:

Peter B,
I have a suggestion, why not ask the AHJ in your town or area what they desire for dryers in bathrooms. Their take on this may be something different than the info obtained from some great home inspectors residing in California who may not be familiar with which Code or regulations your city or area utilizes. You sound very knowledgeable and this has peaked my curiosity also. Please let us know what is the outcome if you do this?

It has to do with BTU’s .
Here is a word from your friendly neighborhood Gas Co.

Residential Gas Clothes Dryer

1. Residential gas clothes dryers may be installed in any room,
    except residential garages, provided that:
    a) The room is an unconfined space.
    b) The gas clothes dryer is listed.
    c) The gas clothes dryer is exhausted to the outdoors.
    Note: Most residential gas clothes dryers require 240 cfm of
    makeup air in addition to the required volume of combustion
    air. Installers shall supply the required volume of combustion
    air in accordance with the rules stated in Air Requirements on
    pages 13-16. In addition to the required volume of combustion
    air, the required volume of makeup air shall be supplied in
    accordance with manufacturers’ installation instructions.

Peter,

Good post! even though things are allowed doesnt make it perfect or ideal, we all agree on that.

Yesterdays inspection had a LP dryer in the bathroom and they actually installed a vent to draw make up air from the attic. I liked the idea but recommended a screen on the duct to keep stingin buzzy things out of the dwelling.

John