New one on me

check this out

Clever???

never saw this before

So what are you going to do?

They packaged the water heater in rock salt to insulate it…:stuck_out_tongue:

Only in Tucson…:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe that would void the warranty.

Buried in Styrofoam pellets

Q:Should I put an insulation blanket on my newly installed Water Heater Xpress
Water Heater. What is recommended?

A:Insulation blankets available to the general public for external use on water heaters are not necessary with our products. The purpose of an insulation blanket is to reduce the standby heat loss encountered with storage tank heaters. Our Water Heaters meet or exceed the National Appliance Energy Conservation Act standards with respect to insulation and standby loss requirements, making an insulation blanket unnecessary. Please consult your warranty manual if you are thinking of installing a blanket, as a blanket could void the warranty. Read instructions Carefully.

True, the pellets are not a typical water heater blanket, but still, maybe? :wink:

“Are not necessary” is not the same as “are not allowed”. Yes, always, read the manual in it’s entirety!

If you read the sentence immediately before “Read instructions carefully” that may shine a light on the subject:mrgreen:

This isn’t a blanket. It’s a box of tiny Styrofoam pellets. :twisted:

I believe what the manufacturers are saying is don’t insulate the outside jacket…but I may be wrong.

DUH! :mrgreen:

Did you catch the model and serial number on the unit?

no it was buried

Wow!

Seriously… did you write it up, and what was the defect? Did the TPRV have a drain? I would really like to know how you handled it. Thanks.

That is a whole lot of fuel for a fire. I have been to a number of electric water heater fires. These usually involve the thermostat. Looks like a significant risk to me.

I reached down in and there was no line on the tpr valve. I mentioned that and that they should remove the box and styrofoam .