Post war era Lead Water Mains /Entrée en plomb des années après-guerre.

Brossard-Quebec-Canada. J’inspecte selon les normes de pratique de l’OACIQ - ACAIQ SOP inspection norms are the norms that I inspect under.

I sometimes come across lead water main piping. Not the Home inspector’s job to scare the buyer!

Parfois je découvre des conduits d’entrées d’eau en plomb.
Je n’ai pas le droit de faire peur à l’acheteur!

At NACHI, We all know that lead piping water mains are not installed anymore!
Lead bleeding is not allowed either and aquasol is now considered soldering norms.

Chez NACHI, Nous savons tous que lentrées d’eau résidentielles d’après-guerre en plomb ne sont plus installées!

What do you NACHI members call out?
Et vous mes clollegues NACHI, Que faites-vous?

I never forget to give the right time of Day.There is no perfect home in a perfect world and our mission is not to kill deals either!

Je donne toujours l’heure juste. Il n’y a pas de maison parfaite dans un monde parfait et je ne suis pas l’inspecteur qui fera échouer une inspection.

Salut!

Beauchemin,Marc-Andre based out of Brossard Quebec Canada. :slight_smile:

Do you feel it could be a health concern.
If it was for your sister would you report it.
.I feel it could be a health concern .
I would tell the client exactly what I have found and would write to seek more information now!.
I would tell them verbally that I would want it changed .

Do I feel a lead water main could be a health concern.

answer: NO

Otherwise we would be ripping those installations out!

If it was for my sister would I report it.

answer: Yes

If I notice lead piping water main, I most certainly point it out and explain that is is no longer installed and that most have it changed when they get a chance.

If I feel it can be a health concern. I immediately tell all.

I believe that our duty as inspectors and according to the OACIQ SOP is to state what we see!

The law states that the seller may decide not to perform any change or repair following inspection.

If you feel something to be a concern, you tell the client exactly what you have found (That’s ok) and you could write up to seek more information on the matter or to seek professionnal advice!

You can research and send additionnal information on the matter, you can have the water tested. yes!

I would not tell them verbally that I would want it changed as I believe we as inspectors cannot do this otherwise if the sale falls through, you may have to pay for dammages!

We cannot demand things be corrected.

Here is my question to you, do you ask that all lead welded pipes be ripped out and replaced?
Your answer has to be NO!:slight_smile:

I “inform” of all homes that have lead pipe(s).
I “inform” of all homes (build prior to 1986, that have soldered pipes) of the potential use of lead solder.

I do not quote ‘code’, but, I ALWAYS “inform” of health concerns/risks discovered during the inspection.

I also include appropriate links to govermental sites for more information on the reported subject(s).

You are right as this is what we have to do!

Inform on consequences but not scare nor kill the deal! :slight_smile:

Prenez garde!

Be careful!

Ne conseillez pas à vos clients de faire inspecter une propriété avec l’intention de renégocier le prix offert, ceci donnerait mauvaise réputation au courtiers et n’oubliez pas que le vendeur n’est pas oubligé d’apporter les correctifs.

Don’t tell your clients that the inspection is the way to have the transaction price reduced, this would give brokers a bad reputation and remember that the seller may not want to correct anything.

Il est important de comprendre que la maison idéale dans un endroit idéal avec un climat idéal n’existe pas.
“La maison parfaite”.
The ideal home in an ideal location in an ideal climate does not exist.
“The perfect home”

Si la tuyauterie est en Poly-B:

Le poly-B a été approuvé et n’a pas à être éliminé, par contre s’il y a rénovations, ce produit n’est plus disponible sur le marché.
( Plus de 500,000 maisons ont de la plomberie en poly-B au Québec).

If supply piping is Poly-B: It was approved and does not have to be removed, although if there are renovations, new material should replace old material.
(In Quebec, more than 500,000 homes have poly-B distribution lines).

Au Québec, s’il y a du filage en aluminium:

Le filage en aluminium n’est pas interdit au Québec, ce dernier doit être remplacé lors de rénovations et un nouvel alliage d’aluminium approuvé ou un filage en cuivre peut aussi bien le remplacer.

In Quebec, if you come across aluminum wiring, this material was approved, should only be replaced during renovation and can be replaced by either copper or a new and approved aluminum wire.

Au Québec s’il y a du plomb dans la tuyauterie:

Finalement, le plomb de soudure déjà existant fut accepté dans le passé mais sera remplacé par les matériaux approuvés et disponibles sur le marché. Plusieurs maisons de l’après-guerre ont encore une entrée d’eau en plomb. Des études recommendent de laisser couler l’eau un peu avant de la boire.

In Quebec, if there is lead in plumbing:

Finally, lead weld is present in many systems and was approved in the past but this material will be replaced or repaired according to what is available nowadays. Many post war era still have lead water mains. Studies recomment to have water run a little before drinking.

Pour mes 19,500 et plus collègues de l’OACIQ, je vous offre mes sympathies si l’inspecteur en bâtiments que vous avez recommendé à votre client fait échouer l’inspection pour avoir la chance d’effectuer une deuxième inspection pour une transaction dans laquelle vous n’êtes pas le courtier.

Bon succès!

For my 19,500 and more collegues of the Quebec OACIQ, I offer my sincere regrets if the home inspector you proposed to your client has scared your client away and has killed the deal in order to get another inspection from your client for a transaction where you may not be involved as the broker.

All the best!

Beauchemin, Marc-Andre (CMI)
Certifié NACHI,
inspectionBMAinspection.com
Brossard, Quebec, Canada