Shower stalls

For those that trickle a little water down the drain on a shower stall and call it good makes me laugh all the way to the bank. I had a audience today on a 7 year old home that they (the Realtors 3) could not believe the stall was leaking until one pulled the carpet off the tack board and mopped up the water. I now have another happy client and 3 more Realtors that believe

I did a 4 unit condo building yesterday for an new client, 2 out of 4 pans leaked, not much but they leaked.

IR.jpg

IR_1576.jpg

Now Linas how can a moisture meter tell the difference between water and Pee;-)

Charley- I forgot, how do you test/flood the shower pan?

How do you standardize the test?

Code says liner must be 3" above the dam.

Do you do 2" or something?

I never use more than 2 inches The one in the images I only used 1 inch and they started leaking

Do you just block the drain or do you use one of those newfangled contraptions to control water depth and prevent overflow?

Both, As you know Dave I have built a good business that people seek me out for my thermal on shower stalls and electrical panels as my main stay on every inspection that I perform its like second nature. I place a image in the report of the shower stall and the electrical panel even when there is no problem some call it fluff I call it keeping the wolves away:D

I don’t have one of those newfangled contraptions, though I am considering the investment.

I do not find the quantity of failed shower pans is you do (though I do find it a lot).

I am sure it is geographical and the age of construction we inspect.

I attempt to do everything I can do cause a leak (under normal operating conditions) and I agree that both positive and negative exceptions are just as important in an inspection report.

I was simply curious as to your process because you really find a bunch of these.

I scan every shower pan and bathroom fixture with thermal imaging whether the client pays for it or not. If I don’t find anything, that is affirmative insurance on my part.

I love it!

I did it again this morning inspection revealed another leaking shower pan that is two in the last 7 days. I am telling you guys want to smoke your competitors do it with IR. It won’t happen by donating $500.00 to the TX relief fund and purchasing the lowest priced camera you can find. Wanta know more call me its free information

$21.95. :wink:

http://www.professionalequipment.com/product_images/q980.JPG

I got sucker I paid $25.00:(

Sorry guys but once again for old times sake.

I do not force flood and water damage to property by purposely creating a stopped up drain situation.
Sure, understand you IR guys like to show of the toys but come on now are you also setting water heaters at overly high temps to see if the TPR valve opens before blowing up the tank???

If it was my property and you introduced water into my subfloor you would get a bill.

Charley there should be no carpeting the a bathroom first and foremost.
Good find:-)

Charley at the rooms intersection, where the tile commode and shower stall enter into the carpeted area is a no brainer. There should be a water stop threshold to act as a capillary break.

Did you put a level on the floor?

I got to get me on of them new newfangled gadgets. Seems more effective than my plain old moisture meter.
Meters are hard for agents to understand. It has numbers and beeps and you can do a percentage. Mathematics always stumped the agents I have seen:-0

A good old illustration, a picture, “like a colouring book” amuses them every time. HA HA HA

You so funny wish you were in my area you would be home twiddling your thums or bickering on the board with Larson and Jonas:p.

Slab floors here bud no sub-floors to worry about its prettyhard to damage a concrete floor:D

yeah yeah yeah…:slight_smile:

Sitting home on hold for last 45 minutes .

Had a nice spa tub with pump missing this afternoon but decided not to test the shower for some reason.

The trick is you don’t have to reveal HOW you found the leak. :wink:

Ha ha
True.

That can be a misleading statement Charley.

The water will find it’s own level and does enter floor/ceiling openings for systems. Plumbing and electrical…
Just a trickle from a shower head in an apartment bathroom caused visual effects that looked like a pipe leak.
The bathroom was above the garage lucky.

I closed the source of water and it dripped for hours after.

non-invasive non-destructive inspections for leaking showers, bathtubs and hydrotherapy tubs are found all the time in the Texas market by ADAIR INSPECTION

having a verifiable inspection protocol, infrared thermography and moisture meter(s) for verification is the norm for me. some of us go the distance and take the extra time and effort to assure showers aren’t or are leaking at the time of inspection

had more than my fair share of irate homeowners many have become clients after cooler heads prevailed and they realized they’d want the same services

never had a one consider trying to get me to pay for their inadequate system

publicly admitting you didn’t even bother is another story