So many questions, so little time...

Two more quickies:

I think I have PB supply lines from my shut-offs to my faucets in the bathroom. I see PB pipe has had a bad press on this forum? Is it worth changing them? They are only supply lines. I will do it anyway but would like your views.

I am going to change my icemaker supply line from solid copper to a steel-braided type. I made a mistake in the one I bought. It is 20 feet long instead of 10 feet long. I had budgeted 5 feet from the pipes to the refridgerator plus an extra 5 feet to pull the unit out (if needed). Will an extra 10 foot of suplus pipe rolled up behind the refridgerator constitute a problem?

www.pbpipe.com and www.polybutylene.com/poly.html

[FONT=Verdana]PB2110 has been alleged to be defective, and has experienced a higher than normal rate of problems associated with leaks where the pipes are joined together. [/FONT]

A little extra braided pipe in the situation never hurt anybody. Just be sure it doesn’t get caught when the unit is moved.

It does give the freedom for farther movement if you should ever need it.

Thanks Jae. I’ll know who to call next time I buy a home in Cincinnati (in the Greater Area or beyond).

Go ahead and change the pb whips, and depending on the age of the shutoff valves you may consider changing them too.

An extra 10’ is not going to hurt, but you could probably exchange it for the correct length.

Have you ever heard of a PB supply line from the shutoff to the fixture being a problem?

Their installed with compression fittings. Ive never seen or heard of a problem.

Now PB branch supply, thats a different story.

There is nothing wrong with PB SUPPLY lines from shut off to faucett.
We’ve used them for 26 years with 0 failure.
The braided type are , however , easier to work with but ,on rare occaison , leak at the crimp between the line and the nut.

http://www.polybutylene.com/poly.html

Will the Pipes Fail?
While scientific evidence is scarce, it is believed that oxidants in the public water supplies, such as chlorine, react with the polybutylene piping and acetal fittings causing them to scale and flake and become brittle. Micro-fractures result, and the basic structural integrity of the system is reduced. Thus, the system becomes weak and may fail without warning causing damage to the building structure and personal property. It is believed that other factors may also contribute to the failure of polybutylene systems, such as improper installation, but it is virtually impossible to detect installation problems throughout an entire system.

"A series of reports have suggested that increased use of choloramines accelerates corrosion and degradation of some metals and elastomers common to distribution plumbing and appurtenances. With regard to elastomers, the study showed that with few exceptions, solutions of chloramines (either monochloramine or dichloramine) produced greater material swelling, deeper and more dense surface cracking, a more rapid loss of elasticity, and greater loss of tensile strength than equivalent concentrations of free chlorine."
----Steven Reiber, HDR Engineering, American Water Works Association Research Foundation

Polybutylene Pipes and Insert Fittings Valves- Typically found under sinks and toilets.

PB Pipe is considered to be inferior material.:roll: :frowning:

Ive used them many times over the last 25+ years. In the cabinet business every time we changed out countertops we would use them to replace the sink, easier. Always kept them in the truck. Never herd of a problem. Not to say there couldn’t be. I just don’t know if I would call them out as a defect.

Go back and read the pages Jae linked to and find where it says PB pipe will not fail in specific locations???

The piping material does not “know” where it is installed.:wink:

Ive read them before and I agree its not good stuff.

I just never thought of fixture supply lines as a biggie. I guess because their not in the walls and its not a big deal to change them.

I hadn’t considered one breaking and causing damage. Your right, it could break anywhere. Ill change my thinking.

I’ve also used PB for supplies for years with no problems. It easier to work with and I will use it if it is not in the open. Otherwise I use something that looks better like a braided or chrome supply.