Stack vent termination height above roof?

IPC 904.1 does not give a minimum height for stack vent termination above a roof, it just says …at least (NUMBER) inches (mm)…

The minimum termination height for a plumbing stack vent varies by state.  It’s 6 inches in many states, but especially in northern states like Minnesota it’s 12 inches.

This started out as a question but found my own answer.

What’s your average snow depth?

The vent will usually clear the snow above it but in my area I report it if its less than 12"

1 Like

Me too.

6" minimum or 6" higher than snow accumulation for the geographic area.

P3103.1 Roof extension. Open vent pipes that extend through a roof shall be terminated at least 6 inches (152 mm) above the roof or 6 inches (152 mm) above the anticipated snow accumulation, whichever is greater, except that where a roof is to be used for any purpose other than weather protection, the vent extension shall be run at least 7 feet (2134 mm) above the roof.

2 Likes

Take no advice from this fraud.

Got proof?

Go away.

If you stay in the canadian section I will leave you alone.

Oh No, here we go again, I thought this was all over.

1 Like

What you need to provide is what the requirements are in your area since the OBC states what the vent pipe minimums are, including taking into account storm and weather run-off: 7.5.6.5. Terminals

The minimum is 6 inches with a minimum pipe diameter of 3 inches. A pipe elevation of more than 12 inches (i.e. what you are stating) has to be configured to minimize the possibility of frost closures.

Please advise what the requirement is in Sault Ste-Marie? Pictures are not the jurisdiction requirements.

1 Like

What if we don’t want him either Eh?

He has posted so many negative comments about Members, the Association and the CMI designation and now he’s questioning the entire InterNACHI system on another forum!

He has been invited to justify this type of behaviour on another thread which will probably never be honestly answered!

I don’t blame you. Take it up with nicky.

:lol: Here we go again…

You’re an incompetent fraud.

1 Like

:lol: Here we go again…

You’re an incompetent fraud.

wrong again…
according to your own city and http://www.cwqa.com/attachments/ontario_plumbing_code_-2012.pdf
both refer to http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/r12332 which clearly states
7.5.6.5. Terminals
(5) Where a vent pipe passes through a roof, it shall,
(a) be terminated high enough to prevent the entry of roof drainage but not less than 150 mm above the roof or above the surface of storm water, which could pond on the roof, and
(b) be equipped with flashing to prevent the entry of water between the vent pipe and the roof or the wall.
(6) Where a vent pipe passes through a roof or an outside wall of a building, it shall be protected from frost closure by increasing its diameter at least one size, but not less than 3 in. in size, immediately before it penetrates the roof or the wall.
(7) Where a vent pipe is located 2 000 mm or more above a roof, it shall be so constructed as to be stable and secure.
(8 ) Flashing shall be of material specified in Article 7.2.10.14. and on a shingled roof shall have a minimum dimension of 500 mm by 500 mm.
(9) Where a sleeve flashing is installed on a flat roof, it shall extend at least 150 mm above the flood level and on a sloped roof shall be at least 150 mm high on the short side.
(10) No bore of a vent stack or stack vent shall be reduced or obstructed by the installation of a flashing.

no mention anywhere of 18" or mm equivalent…please provide differing proof

more of your typical rabbit hole shenanigans…no thanks

no one should take your proven incompetent advice

anyone considering your services or written & advertised lies about being an internachi member or certified master inspector…caveat emptor
that designation has been stripped from you for life.

the above is a Texas consumer protection inspector’s opinion
i’m available for hire in unregulated Canadian provinces ;~))

Kent
free online IRC
2000~2003
SECTION P3103 VENT TERMINALS
P3103.1 Roof extension.
All open vent pipes which extend through a roof shall be terminated at least [number] inches above the roof or [number] inches above the anticipated snow accumulation, except that where a roof is to be used for any purpose other than weather protection, the vent extensions shall be run at least 7 feet (2134 mm) above the roof.

2006~current
SECTION P3103 VENT TERMINALS
P3103.1 Roof extension.
Open vent pipes that extend through a roof shall be terminated at least 6 inches (152 mm) above the roof or 6 inches (152 mm) above the anticipated snow accumulation, whichever is greater, except that where a roof is to be used for any purpose other than weather protection, the vent extension shall be run at least 7 feet (2134 mm) above the roof.

wrong again…
according to your own city and http://www.cwqa.com/attachments/ontario_plumbing_code_-2012.pdf
both refer to http://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/r12332 which clearly states
7.5.6.5. Terminals
(5) Where a vent pipe passes through a roof, it shall,
(a) be terminated high enough to prevent the entry of roof drainage but not less than 150 mm above the roof or above the surface of storm water, which could pond on the roof, and
(b) be equipped with flashing to prevent the entry of water between the vent pipe and the roof or the wall.
(6) Where a vent pipe passes through a roof or an outside wall of a building, it shall be protected from frost closure by increasing its diameter at least one size, but not less than 3 in. in size, immediately before it penetrates the roof or the wall.
(7) Where a vent pipe is located 2 000 mm or more above a roof, it shall be so constructed as to be stable and secure.
(8 ) Flashing shall be of material specified in Article 7.2.10.14. and on a shingled roof shall have a minimum dimension of 500 mm by 500 mm.
(9) Where a sleeve flashing is installed on a flat roof, it shall extend at least 150 mm above the flood level and on a sloped roof shall be at least 150 mm high on the short side.
(10) No bore of a vent stack or stack vent shall be reduced or obstructed by the installation of a flashing.

no mention anywhere of 18" or mm equivalent…please provide differing proof

more of your typical rabbit hole shenanigans…no thanks

no one should take your proven incompetent advice

anyone considering your services or written & advertised lies about being an internachi member or certified master inspector…caveat emptor
that designation has been stripped from you for life.

the above is a Texas consumer protection inspector’s opinion based on internet search

Got it Barry, thanks.

Hopefully the door can be closed again on this one.

Marcel, you still have that thing about 'How many people does it take to answer a message board question"?
You had an improved version that was pretty funny.

I guess I forgot that one Kenton. :slight_smile:

In your previous post.

You were Baptized as a WAFI when you left the first time and you still are.

Stay off the Board unless you have Facts to promote to other Inspectors.