Standpipes. Please proof this new inspection article.

Standpipes.

Excuse my ignorance but I always thought a stand pipe was for a washing machine/laundry discharge.

Our newest inspection articles are going to include things inspectors might not recognize.

Basement Standpipe might be a better name…
As there are a few types of “Standpipes”

True, there are a number of different types of standpipes, so I just added a line into the first paragraph to avoid confusion.

I Liked the article Rob and learned something new, as I do not see a Lot of Basement Flooding here in Phoenix. :smiley:

???

This article seems confused!!! Are we talking about sewage water or ground/rain water or all the aforementioned?

Is this system supposed to perform the same function as a backwater valve in the main building drains (sewer/storm drains)?

Why are you talking about dehumidifiers, outdoor downspout drainage, etc, if this device is simply a “stopper” for sewer back-up through a connected interior floor drain?

How can this item prevent normal water leakage from improperly drained perimeters; basement walls with normal concrete shrinkage cracks and no waterproofing; poor, damaged, blocked or non-existing foundation perimeter drains??

The last statement appears to be way off base!!!

“In summary, standpipes are simple, inexpensive and effective mechanisms used to prevent water seepage in the basement.”
What manner of water seepage and from where…the DWV system, hydrostatic pressure from a rising water table, ground/rainwater from the exterior grades down along the foundation wall???

The picture in the article just appears to me to be a basement drain plug, and an older one at that. Perhaps Nick is trying to explain a back-flow preventer. Here in the midwest, several counties are requiring them, however they are in parallel with underground sewers and are only accessible through a 6 inch cap at the basement floor. I built my home in 2004 and have one in the main sewer drain just before it exits under my basement floor.

Here is what it says on top: “canplas backwater valve access sleeve”.

Standpipes have nothing to do with dehumidifiers and outdoor drainage. These are just ways that homeowners can mitigate water intrusion.

Okay, I clarified it a bit.

It can’t.

I just replaced it with a different picture, which appears to be exactly the same thing, except this one says “standpipe”

That picture and the previous look like the “standpipes” were originally water supplies for fire hoses. Did they use whatever they had at hand for the purpose?

Honestly, I don’t know. Maybe someone else can comment. I’ll send this thread to Will Decker and see what he says.

Different areas of the country, different thinsg with the same name.

I helped with this article and, most probably, didn’t make my self clear to Rob.

In the Chicago area, we rarely get flooding ofer the foundation, but mostly (in the city, proper) get the dloor drains backing up.

The easy and best way to avoid this is to install a check valve between the house and the city sewers, but very few people construct the house that way (go figure).

So, many people in this area install a special drain cover on the basement floor drain, one with a threaded opening that a long (usually 3 - 4’) pipe is screwed in when it rains. If the floor drain backs up, this keeps the water out of the basment.

But the term “standpipe” can also refer to underground drain pipes for downspouts, drains for washers and fire standpipes, which allow the fire dept to pump extra water int a big building’s sprinkler system (like originally pictured in the article).

Hope this clarifies. Don’t blame Rob, mainly it was my bad for not being clear.

Picture was removed, thanks guys. If anyone has a good picture of this type if standpipe please post it.

Rob should not the last sentence read basement floor drains, as opposed to basement sink drains?..jim

yes, thanks