tankless water heater?

i inspected a manufactured home built in 2000. i opened an exterior closet to access the water heater. this is what i found. is it a tankless water heater?

DSCF2913 (Small).JPG

yes and the cover is missing and should be reported.

Also need to check the nameplate amps vs wire and breaker size.

Is that PCVB pipe. If I remember correctly, it needs to be protected from UV rays.

Thanks for your help. The main breaker to the house was in the off position and no electricity entered the home. After turning the main on, i expected the tankless water heater to produce hot water. is the tankless water heater to produce hot water on demand?

It requires a certain amount of flow before it will turn on.
Then it will still take time for the hot water to reach the fixture.

These are available in different sizes depending on the estimated needs of the home.

Something tells me that it’s not a tankless heater. The use of plastic in a high heat area doesn’t make sense. I would expect to see all metal construction, plenty of insulation, heat shields, etc.

My guess is that it’s a UV water filtration system. The UV kills bugs in the water.

Well, it does look like this one.

http://www.titanheater.com/tankless_water_heater_inside.php

PVC piping?

Marcel

It does appear to have two conductors (two conduits) running to the unit- which is pretty standard for a tank less unit.
Would a UV filtration system need 2?

Still should have a shut off just before the incoming water…we install these all the time and the manufacturer will in most all cases stipulate a shutoff valve just prior to the incoming water connection.

That looks like a really expensive way to heat water for the entire home. I could see using something like that at the point of use to supplement hot water for a long run (or a Grunfos pump). …are utility rates pretty chep in Florida?

Actually it is VERY cost effective to have a Tankless System. The use for heating the water is only at physical use. NOT wasted on heating up the water heater all day.

I save ALOT on my electrical bill beause of it…because I choose to have my Hot Tub going year around…it offsets the savings on the water heater.

Heating a hot tub with electric must be expensive.
Don’t they sell natural gas out there?

they do…but i LOVE electricity and the HOT TUB is not a Gas Model. Plus have you seen the price of GAS…:wink:

Most portable hot tubs are Electrically Heated to maintain temps.

I do too. That’s why we should be producing lots of cheap electricity with nuclear power plants. Think of the advantages:

Plentiful domestic fuel source not subject to the whims of bad actors on the world stage.
Clean, no CO2 producing “Green” power source.
Reliable source of energy.

Now if those who pretend to be serious about “global warming” would just get on board I might believe they didn’t have some other motive behind their efforts.

The promises of nuclear power are real but we have to support it.

What better “GREEN” power than Electricity…We have been PAYING for the same electrons since the first generator was put online.

Now THATS recycling…:slight_smile:

Check the pipe manufactuer’s instuctions - may not be suitable downstream and for 6’ upstream of a demand heater.

Maybe getting off topic.

I had a propane tankless unit in a marine application that worked extremely well for many seasons. It was shielded and vented w/double pipe intake air/exhaust like a propane fireplace.

Seeing some electric ones large enough for a typical household marketed now, but I had doubts regarding an electric units ability to heat sufficiently.

You guys have firsthand positive experience with these units? Have not tried or seen one of the larger elec units in use. We installed a small at the kitchen sink unit in a condo reno, which worked well for tea/coffee.

With small kids our hot water use is significant, just curious. Natural gas not available here.

Thanks,
Bill Redfern