TPR

Found this today. Someone put a ball valve on the TPR relief line. Would you advise removing it or just advise to leave it open?
OPPS!! forgot to attach

remove the valve…(picture not necessary)

Heres the pic

10-4

YIKES! Even crimped causing a restriction.

Lol I would advise the whole thing be removed and a new one be installed correctly

Exactly… just about the whole thing is wrong. :roll:

DIYers

The sad thing is realtors always downplay my TPRV discrepancies…right in front of me

Thats nothin. look at this:shock::shock: Pics sideways but…

Send them this link. Dale Duffy posted photos of this he took the morning it happened.

*A water heaterthat apparently had its pressure valve shut exploded and hurtled 135 yards Thursday morning, causing catastrophic damage to the Phoenix home, authorities said.

http://media.bonnint.net/az/10/1075/107541.jpg

I have a client buying a house that has a defective hot water heater. In is located on the first floor and one of the issues with it is the TPR discharges through the floor into the basement at cieling height. The seller has agreed to a new heater but just installing as is. Any suggestions how to respond to the seller on the danger of the TPR discharging as is.

no need to respond to seller
not your circus, not your monkeys

in many munis a permit is required when replacing wh
therefore it should be installed per current standards

the competent-licensed plumber should be aware & decide how to comply with all items below

504.6 Requirements for discharge piping.
The discharge piping serving a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve or combination thereof shall:

1. Not be directly connected to the drainage system.

2. Discharge through an air gap located in the same room as the water heater.

3. Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.

4. Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.

5. Discharge to the floor, to the pan serving the water heater or storage tank, to a waste receptor or to the outdoors.

6. Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.

7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building occupants.

8. Not be trapped.

9. Be installed so as to flow by gravity.

10. Not terminate more than 6 inches (152 mm) above the floor or waste receptor.

11. Not have a threaded connection at the end of such piping.

12. Not have valves or tee fittings.

13. Be constructed of those materials listed in Section 605.4 or materials tested, rated and approved for such use in accordance with ASME A112.4.1. 

i report they decide

The TPR Valve should terminate in a conspicuous area outdoors, or 6 to 8 inches off the floor to prevent scalding. Terminating it at ceiling height in the basement may be a great way to scald the scalp, neck, or eyes.

Yes, tell them to have a qualified plumber (licensed if required in your area) install it.