TPR and flush valve on T

Is it ok to have the tpr valve joined with the flush valve into the floor drain?

Will provide .a picture later after I down load.

Just do not recall seeing it before.

On a hot water tank of course

Waiting for pic Bob but it doesn’t sound right.

No, a TPRV discharge “shall be piped full size separately to the floor, to the outside of the building or to an indirect waste receptor located inside the building”. But, then again you are in Chicago so who knows?

No it is not O.K.

Ok ,sorry but I took a nap.:slight_smile:
Here is a picture and please explain the reasoning if you know it.

DSC06306 (Small).JPG

Yeah i’d say that is obviously F 'ED up.

There needs to be an air gap, something to do with anti blockage. What if the drain clogs???

It looks like only efficiency was observed but with disregard for safety.

Yeah that was my first thought.
Lake point tower and they use FPE stab loc,plus lint buckets for dryers there.

Second time inspecting there and both had that.

Got any lingo to back me up?

The “reasoning” would be that the installer just didn’t know any better.

I won’t speculate as to “why” people do what they do, but I’m happy to point it out when they don’t have a clue. . .

**Thanks Jeff but that is not straight enough.
I just found out I have part of IPC here on file from a Frank Carrio submission.
504.6 Requirements for discharge piping.
The discharge piping serving a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve or combination thereof shall:

1. Not be directly connected to the drainage system.
  2. Discharge through an air gap located in the same room as the water heater.
  3. Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.
  4. Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.
  5. Discharge to the floor, to an indirect waste receptor or to the outdoors. Where discharging to the outdoors in areas subject to freezing, discharge piping shall be first piped to an indirect waste receptor through an air gap located in a conditioned area.
  6. Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.
  7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building occupants.
  8. Not be trapped.
  9. Be installed so as to flow by gravity.
  10. Not terminate more than 6 inches (152 mm) above the floor or waste receptor.
  11. Not have a threaded connection at the end of such piping.
  12. Not have valves or tee fittings.
  13. Be constructed of those materials listed in Section 605.4 or materials tested, rated and approved for such use in accordance with ASME A112.4.1.

**Looks like #4 covers it and I wonder about #2 as it leaves me confused.

I would also note lack of a drain pan.

They have 2 heaters with one in the kitchen and one for the bathroom .
Both are electric with no gas in this 68 story building.**

hmmmmmmm. here is some thing but still looking.

…c) With the exception of special water heaters used for space heating in addition to hot water supply, as provided in subsection (a)(9) of this Section, water that leaves the potable water system for heating, cooling, use in equipment or other similar uses shall not be returned to the potable water distribution system. When such water is discharged to the building drainage system it shall be discharged through a fixed air gap.

Yeah :):):slight_smile:
I was suprised to and since the bottom 2 screws were missing on a loose cover I opened the FPE.

Section 890.APPENDIX H Indirect Waste Piping #1

Section 890.ILLUSTRATION F Air Gaps

(Referenced in Section 890.1040)

Section 890.APPENDIX H Indirect Waste Piping #1

Section 890.ILLUSTRATION E Indirect Waste Connection

(Referenced in Section 890.1010(b))

"TPR discharge pipe should have an air gap at the terminating end that is within 6 inches of floor. " hows that sound

Mike covered that in post #3. . .

An air-gap is used when the extension is routed to a point where it would be subject to freezing. Unfortunately, air-gaps are not very effective for the pressure and volume produced by a relief valve.

that galv. ell sure looks threaded from texas, but who’s writing this report

Good catch,almost missed that (ha)

I had to move a little faster than normal and am looking at pics to make up for it.

Gott ya.Thanks

Sweet that helps a lot.
Knew it was wrong but need confidence of facts.

I still need to call the city and find out more about the expansion tank business.
(does not apply here )

Threaded fittings are generally allowed. Threaded terminations are prohibited. . .

understood but can’t tell if it’s attached to the drain or just flopping in the air, turn 90 to attach something else and it wouldn’t be kosher, correct