Water Heater Before/After

Good Afternoon Gentlemen,

Recently had my gas W/H replaced, inspector said the TPRV Line was improperly reduced & the W/H needed a sediment trap. To be honest I don’t see much of a difference in set up.

This is my W/H before:

This is my W/H after:

I noticed the TPRV valve is bent now, is that an issue? He gave me an invoice that said “TPRV repaired” & “build in sediment trap” but I’m not seeing one. Basically I want to be sure that the new W/H was done right because I’m worried it isn’t. Of course it’d be easy to call and ask him myself but he’s not available until next week…:neutral: Thanks for your time guys.

I’m doing this on a phone however. Where is the sed trap I don’t see

As Roy has mentioned I do not see in this photo a sediment trap and as you mentioned the TRP valve line appears to be the same line, but more reduced than before (kink).

Thanks for the response. So I’m not crazy right? There isn’t a sediment trap. My invoice shows:

I’m not sure what he means by “build in”.

Both items have not been corrected. Was the plumber licensed or was it a handyman? The condition of the TPRV is a safety hazard that needs correction now. Have the inspector come back and fail it.

Thank you for the response guys. Yes, he was a licensed plumber. I knew I wasn’t crazy, I just don’t see a sediment trap though I don’t understand what he means on the invoice:

That picture is helpful, thank you John, I guess I will just have to wait for his return next week. I’m not sure what he will do about the TPRV…

no sediment trap was installed during replacement as others have noted
the replacement for the plumber kinked tprv flex connector if ahj allowed should be 7/8" dia. http://www.brasscraft.com/Products.aspx?Id=227 or similar
imo, even if they try to repair do not allow any damaged tprv components to remain!
it wasn’t damaged in your before pic + they overcharged for an item they reused and fubared

no sediment trap was installed during replacement as others have noted
the replacement for the plumber kinked tprv flex connector if ahj allowed should be 7/8" dia. http://www.brasscraft.com/Products.aspx?Id=227 or similar
imo, even if they try to repair do not allow any damaged tprv components to remain!
it wasn’t damaged in your before pic + they overcharged for an item they reused and fubared

the kink is bad and he thinks the longer gas line that sags is the trap

Arrange to have the Inspector revisit when the plumber shows up. That could be an interesting conversation.

Why have the inspector come back, he already identified the problems.

He has to come back to sign off that they were corrected anyway, so when the plumber says he already fixed it, the AHJ can “splain it to him”! In the process, he may just question the authenticity of the plumbers alleged license!

Face it. Do you know any “licensed plumber” anywhere that would charge $680 Labor and Materials for a Professional Series Rheem? Hell NO! Granted he charged $200 labor for other work to make up his labor, and didn’t even fix one of the two items. Maybe both of them. We really don’t know, do we?

I find it interesting the plumber put, (built in sediment trap) after the water heater on the invoice as though it was built in to the unit.
I was reading here http://www.waterheaterexplosions.com/R_Drip_Leg.html on a Utah Inspectors site and thought I was about to read about an instance where a manufacturer was installing a sediment trap within the water heater. Alas, that was not the case. It seems there are no manufacturers that are incorporating them within. If the plumber tells you otherwise he better have some good documentation cause it sure looks like he took some shortcuts. Good luck!

Review that plumber everywhere you can online so others don’t get the same crappy job you did.

I’m wondering where that TPR drain line goes? Also, why did you need a new tank? None of the problems you mentioned would require a new tank.