Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Plumbing Inspections

Notices

Plumbing Inspections Contains discussions about plumbing.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4/5/10, 6:05 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Water Heater Date Code

Am I reading this right? I looked at a Reliance water heater with a serial number of 0833A032628. Does that mean that it was manufactured in the 33rd week of 2008? State Industries used to put a letter code for the month followed by two (2) numbers to indicate the year on their older water heaters (Ex.: A01 would = Jan 2001) and the Reliance brand is manufactured by State, so I assumed the serial number coding would be the same but, there is no letter designation at the beginning of the Reliance serial number.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
water-heater-date-code-p1014232-copy.jpg  
Need a home inspection in Montana? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Montana certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 4/5/10, 6:49 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: Water Heater Date Code

http://www.inspectapedia.com/plumbin...Age_Charts.pdf

January 2003
Old 4/5/10, 7:25 PM
InterNACHI Member

Jeffrey,

http://www.inspectapedia.com/plumbin...Age_Charts.pdf

This is useful information, but, unfortunately it does not apply to the newest Reliance / State water heaters. This chart still indicates that this brand has a letter code to start the serial number, but the unit I looked at does not have a letter code.

Thanks!

Rick
Old 4/6/10, 12:30 AM
InterNACHI Member

Either the 33rd week of 08, or the 8th month of 1933. I'll go with 33rd week of 08.

You'll occasionally find that when new models come out that have significant technology breakthroughs, they'll start a new date coding system. Also, sometimes a unit is actually manufactured by another company for the company that has the nameplate.

NACHI 2005 U.S. Member of the Year