Water heater drain

Water heater drain line was dripping during today’s inspection. Ran water for dishwasher and checked for hot water in bathrooms only. Found the drain dripping, it stopped after awhile. Anyone know why it would start and stop? 17 year old heater.

bad valve…17 yrs. old

Shouldn’t it leak all the time though?

Define two things, “All the time” and “Leak”. :smiley:

You observed it leaking, report that and move on. :smiley:

It would have to be related to changes in water temp at the lower portion as cold water enters (thermal contraction) to cause the problem to come and go. Or, the tank pressure went up during a period of heating with zero hot water usage that caused thermal expansion to cause the problem to show up.
It might need a thermal expansion tank or valve added in addition to a new water heater. I would never advise repairing a tank that old except as a temporary fix by replacing the leaky drain valve. The next leak will probably be much worse.

The heater is past the normal lifespan. Don’t waste money or time changing the valve. Put a garden hose cap on it for $2.99 and replace the heater when needed.

Stephen -

I sure hope you’re joking, because if NOT and you cap the guys TPR valve or drain line / YOU just made a 4 1/2’ tall hand grenade that could kill somebody.

Talking about the ‘tank’ drain, not the TPR drain. At least that is how I read post #1.

It is not the TPR drain line. It is the drain valve that is leaking. (see original photo) Capping that would do no harm as it is designed to be closed.

I think Dan mis read it.
Perhaps one only needs to turn the handle clockwise:)

Is it just me, or does that TPR drain 90deg elbow look to be a size reduction?

It looks like an optical illusion. If you blow it up, it looks better. But then if I take my glasses off, it looks like there are two of them… :shock:

Anyone else notice the support post?

Yes I did. It’s in the report.

You’re right, I hadn’t blown up and looked at pic. When he said drain line leaks I thought TPR and … CAP it, you gotta be joking … Please tell us you’re joking.

Sorry Stephen

Diddo for the drain valve,

The hose garden cap is the solution as long as the drain valve still shuts.

Unfortunately, if you are going to flush the tank yearly, you must start at the beginning as when the water valve has never been cranked, letting it flow may be calling game over for the heater.

(BTW BOB, what is wrong with the support post OK!).

Thanks!

Beauchemin Marc-Andre frem BMAinspections.com,
based out of Brossard-Quebec Canada.:slight_smile:

What’s wrong with capping it?