Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Plumbing Inspections

Notices

Plumbing Inspections Contains discussions about plumbing.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6/12/13, 9:11 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Water heater garage installation

I am aware that water heaters with an open burn chamber should be 18 inches above the floor when installed in a garage. My question is this. If the water heater is installed in a mechanical room connected to a garage with a self closer on the door between the mech room and garage does the 18 inch rule still apply. In this case while the door does self close there is still a gap about .5 inch or better between the garage floor and the door. I would assume vapors can still enter the mech room making the 18 inch rule still apply. What does the building code say?
Need a home inspection in Hawaii? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Hawaii certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 6/12/13, 9:24 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: Water heater garage installation

Your question leads me to another question. Is a half inch gap enough for combustion air? I don't think it is. If it was my call, and it isn't, I would say eighteen inches up and a louvre on the door.

The Home Inspection Service
Mark Brickhouse
TREC License #20706
waco-home-inspections.com
Old 6/13/13, 9:22 AM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: Water heater garage installation

Combustion air source provided separately. Thanks for the reply.