Water Heaters in garage

Hi everyone,
Quick question for you? Do you call out the fact that a W/H is not up off the floor if the W/H is in a Closet in the Garage? It is getting combustion air from the attic or venting.

I know Code(we are not code inspectors, I know) calls for it to be up off the floor in the garage, but the closet makes me question that. Especially the fact that it is getting air from a vent/attic.

for electric hwh on floor is fine, i suggest pan and drain
for gas hwh must be off floor and protected by driveway block, and flow of air

The reason it is required to be 18" above the floor is that gasoline fumes hover down near the floor.

Even if it gets its combustion air directly from somewhere else I believe it still needs to be up 18".

If it is in the garage on the floor (electric) it must be guarded from a car hitting it.

Me thinks electric WH’s should be elevated.

Or, you could look here

“IRC 2006 M1307.3 Elevation of ignition source. Appliances having an
ignition source shall be elevated such that the source of ignition
is not less than 18 inches (457 mm) above the floor in garages.
For the purpose of this section, rooms or spaces that are not part
of the living space of a dwelling unit and that communicate
with a private garage through openings shall be considered to
be part of the garage
.”

Thanks Joe. Gas or electric it must be at least 18’’ no exceptions.
I run into many inspectors that think electronic ignition is an exception.

Agreed. Worth repeating.

There’s been lots of debate about electric water heaters needing elevation. The c*de references the “ignition source” and where is that with an electric water heater?

Per Florida Building Code

**P2801.6 Water heaters installed in garages. **

Water heaters shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions which shall be available on the job site at the time of inspection

read the code - element or burner.

In most jurisdictions, that’s not true. Some AHJs do take a different view.

You are mistaken. The code refers to “source of ignition”. It does NOT say “element or burner”. IMHO, a wall outlet is more of a hazard than an electric water heater.

"“IRC 2006 M1307.3 Elevation of ignition source. Appliances having an
ignition source shall be elevated such that the source of ignition
is not less than 18 inches (457 mm) above the floor in garages.
For the purpose of this section, rooms or spaces that are not part
of the living space of a dwelling unit and that communicate
with a private garage through openings shall be considered to
be part of the garage
.”

Both an element and a burner can be sources of ignition. Hold an electric element that is heating water to 125°F (which logically means that the element itself is at least 125°F) up against some clothes, and I can guarantee you that they will catch on fire. **Source of ignition. **Now get a small jar of gas from your car and stick the electric element in it. I can guarantee you that you’ll get a small fire. **Source of ignition. **Now fill up a jug with gas from your gas range and stick the electric element in it. Boom! Source of ignition.

Mine, too. But when we’ve got lemons, we must make margaritas.

I’m not disagreeing with anyone here because I truly don’t know the correct answer, but every electric water heater I have ever seen has been installed directly on concrete. Usually on the 4" step up in the garage.

I think I remember hearing somewhere that in electric water heaters the ignition source is raised inside the unit itself. Kinda like a dryer.

And I am not sure that the element would be considered the ignition source. Wouldn’t the ignition source be in the thermostat where the contact and arching occurs?

I’m probably wrong. But I have faith that someone will tell me that.

That would seem to indicate that (1) the AHJ approves it there, or (2) the plumbers don’t follow the codes.

I’ve known both to occur in my areas here.

Same thing with the burners on a gas unit, though. It’s not the bottom of the water heater that needs to be raised 18", it’s the “source of ignition” that needs to be raised 18". However, since all units are different, it’s easier for contractors to simply install 18" platforms everywhere and site the water heater on them. That way they don’t have to get into measuring the distance from the floor to the “source of ignition.”

That is, indeed, another “source of ignition,” so whichever is lowest is what needs to be raised 18".

That’s also why everyone simply puts the water heater on an 18" platform. Make it easy and consistent and be done with it.

And the only reason why the “source of ignition” in dryers is not required to be raised 18" is because they are considered “attended appliances.” I hate to tell the code people, but when I use the dryer, I turn it on and leave. The only time I’m attending it is before I turn it on (loading clothes) and after it has turned itself off (clothes are finished drying).

From RR,
“That’s also why everyone simply puts the water heater on an 18” platform. Make it easy and consistent and be done with it."

Makes sense. I have just never seen it.

By the way, how do I bring another post’s quotes into my post?