Well water tampering

Why is it that home owners think they can tamper with their wells and I wont catch it…grrrrr.

Found slightly elevated levels of chlorine for which I immediately invalidated most of the tests. That was an easy $125.00 for a 5 minute drive and 10 minute partial tests… however now its going to cost them more to have a more indepth test conducted after the well is flushed.

I have conducted numerous inspections for this buyer and I know he does not like to be screwed around with. Would love to get the full inspection however he is getting the home at a 150k discount so he is opting not having the house inspected at all…maybe this will change his mind.

Interesting to see what the agents say since they are on a deadline.

Most agents in my area would say “Why is this inspector delaying my sell”?
I got one tomorrow night that an agent is just requesting a visual evaluation on a mold remediation job. She made it perfectly clear she wants no air tests. You bet I am going to write a CYA report on that one.
Sad but true.

Adding chlorine was a common practice a few years ago . guess the sellers never updated

Some of the agents here advise there clients to do it.

James,
How can you Cover Your Hiney if you only do a visual.
I’m asking for my own knowledge.

Adding chlorine to a well to flush same is fine… however IMNSHO, when one does it prior to an inspection involving a real estate transaction it should be disclosed, other wise an inspector should invalidate at minimum the bacteria results.

The agent called me this morning and confirmed that the owner had indeed had some do a chlorination flush prior to my inspection. While I don’t mind going back out and doing a thorough flush of the system myself (for additional fee), they should have advised me of their actions prior to my tests.

The well water is extremely hard for which they can look at spending between 2k - 3k on a water softener not to mention any other issues I may find.

James, I to am interested on why you would only do a visual on a mold remediation job…is the company doing the remediation also doing follow up tests and are they licensed or certified? I can you do a visual on something you often can not see?

I almost never take a well sample, unless I am also doing a septic inspection. During the septic inspection there is something called a hydrolic (sp?) load test, where several hundred gallons of water are introduced to the septic system. That being the case, the well sample is always taken last thing, right before leaving the home for the office. (The sample is also 2 to 5 hours fresher than if taken at the beginning of the inspection.)

Most of the people I know use clorox in the well, then flush the lines. My nephew had to run the water for awhile so his house would pass. He used a couple of gallons; the house he bought had been empty for 8 months.

It’s called “shocking” the well. The MO Department of Health and Senior Services actually includes instructions on how to do it, for well owners to do this periodically with the sample results.

Make it very clear that you are only are performing a visual inspection and no testing was performed but is recommended.

Most remediation jobs in my area has no remediation protocols written. The remediators are following no standards. A visual inspection without testing is better than nothing at all. We work for who ever is paying our fee. When you type up the letter just make it clear in the letter on what you are paid to do. Just like a commercial building inspection, you can let the client chose what the scope of work is, as long as you make it clear what really is recommended according to standards or protocols. If a protocol is written than you are forced to follow it to the letter. If not, you will need to set your own scope of work with your client.