Is this acceptacle????

I found four of these post installed this way today, why would you do this??

Thanks!

Overkill?

Isn’t that already a 2 x6 wall spaced 12" on center?

Probably a point load but typically the lally columns are anchored to the floor and the wall built around them or on footings and the floor poured around them.

Maybe the safe is above there.:wink:

No safe. The whole house is above.

In order to comment, we would need to see what that post supports. A post of that configuration is acceptable if it is welded so that it no longer “jacks”, and if it is anchored to the floor or to a footing. It doesn’t matter to the post whether it’s upside-down or right-side-up. If that post supports a center girder, generally such posts on 7-foot centers are sufficient. If it supports a steel girder, the spacing may be increased a great deal, depending on the depth and weight-per-foot of the goirder. The other end of the post should have a bearing plate that is either bolted or welded to the girder.

By the way, were there any electric receptables nearby?? =)

Richard, doesn’t the slab need to be reinforced beneath a point load like that?

Kenton,

I have never seen them installed in this way. They were fastened at the top to a steel beam. I deferred them.

I see. It is supporting the end of steel beam.

Now how do we know if a real footing exists and not just the cement floor?

Interesting picture Buck.
Would you have a picture of a bigger spectrum view?

That’s ok, I’ll guess. :wink:

To me, that appears like a renovation project in the happenings.

A new wall is being constructed and a support column had to be moved.
The new plate was installed, using what appears to be a PSL member that I can’t tell if it is treated or not, and the adjustable post was added to support the load above.
Now since this is an adjustable post, it means temporary, right?
Maybe not. The real lally column is sacraficial now and this one is picking up the load until that new wall is built.

Whether this adjustable column screw is down or up, dose not matter, the capacity that we do not know is still there.

Installing it over that PSL plate more or less distributes the weight on the assummed concrete floor, cause there is no footing underneath to pick up this load.

Now if the total picture shows that this new wall, once constructed, is picking up the load above, that adjustable column becomes a moot item of discussion.

It is obvious to me that this type of modification to framing, is not being done under the supervision of an Architect or Structural Engineer.

I would also question as to whether or not a permit was pulled for the work we see.

More pics would be helpful.

Hope my guess work makes sense. :mrgreen::wink:

I’d disclaim it and if I saw much of a load, or couldn’t tell whether there was a load or not, recommend an SE.

I would also Kenton, but I love to figure it out. :mrgreen:

Sure. There should be a footing, or at least a thickened slab, depending on the load coming down on the post.

I blew up the picture, if it is supporting a steel beam, it is absoultely incorrect. IT should be attatched directly to the floor and should have a footer below it.
Toe nailing to a sole plate that WILL settle won’t work. As someone else stated, looks like some do it your selfers hard at work. By the way, the colom looks to me like a floor jack seeing as how it has a smaller diameter where it attatches to the bottom plate. See if it has threads visible, all the coloms we install are purpose biult. Meaning they are built to an exact spect so as to bear from top to bottom, not adjustable.

It was wrong!! I sent it to a SE.

THANKS!!