Attic framing - Ceiling Joists

This is a first for me so hoping for some feedback. Entered an attic today, conventional gable roof, framed with rafters not trusses. About 1/3 of the way along the length of the ceiling joists, there appears to be a gap cut into the joists clear through them? Only on North half of the attic? Alarms started going off in my head as I was under the impression that the ceiling joists (rafter ties) should be continuous and not cut? Am I off base here? There is a load bearing wall beneath (bedroom) in the vicinity of where the voids are in the joists. I have a few pics…

P7290156.jpg

P7290160.jpg

P7290161.jpg

Appreciate any feedback…thanks!

All I can say is, it’s highly irregular.
How old is the house?

Typically the ceiling joists would be continuous or overlap at the bearing wall.

If the home was built in the 40s 50s or 60s it is fairly common around here. NOt too often but I have seen it. WHile it doesnt make practical sense, it somehow manages. I would personally make note of it, and report it is non-typical framing. Explain how it should be for current standards, and let them decisde. I believe they used the center walls as a means of holding things togheather when boards were toe nailed in.

Thomas, my thought exactly. Isn’t the purpose of ceiling joist, aka rafter ties, to resist outward pressure which would put force on the structure walls? If the rafter ties are not continuous I would think they loose that ability?

No signs of any structural movement or roof problems (sags) that is the funny thing? Home built in 1982.

Dunno, I am leaning toward calling a SE for further evaluation. Mainly because it is “irregular” and just doesn’t make sense!

The ridge is being supported by makeshift posts, which is preventing the wall spread. Normally, the ceiling joists are lapped (and nailed together) on the middle load bearing walls as rafter ties. If no movement is noticed, I don’t think an engineer is needed, but the method of framing should be noted in the report.

Interesting. Some of the roof weight is transferred through the posts to the top of the ceiling joists.

I don’t think those are cut. They look like factory edges to me. I think they used joists that were too short. Yes rafter ties should be continuous and yes the posts are helping support the roof, and if the house has some years on it with no sign of failure, I wouldn’t make a huge big deal out of it but would call it poor quality framing and recommend joists be tied together.
Strongbacks supporting posts are fairly lose to the hallway wall. I wouldn’t expect sagging