Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Structural Inspections

Notices

Structural Inspections Contains discussions about the structural portion of a home inspection. This includes foundations, framing, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4/30/08, 10:00 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Bodark Foundation information

Does anyone have any link(s) to the history of bodark foundations and how they were constructed? I run into enough of them and explain them to clients but have been asked for references to information on them. Any links would be appreciated.

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

http://www.psinspection.com

TREC License# 7593

Professional Real Estate Inspections for the counties of Collin, Rockwall, Hunt, Dallas, Tarrant, Kaufman and all surrounding areas. If you want the the best you will find it with PS Inspection & Property Services LLC!
Old 4/30/08, 11:24 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: Bodark Foundation information

Check spelling Bois D'Arc also referred to as Osage Orange and horse apples

Not a lot about foundations

badair

ADAIR INSPECTION
972-487-5634

Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Infrared Thermography
TREC # 4563
EDI: EIFS-MA TX # 39

2008 US Member of the Year
National Association of Commercial Building Inspectors & Thermographers™ Member ID 12011-14TX

life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes, accept the good

Last edited by badair; 4/30/08 at 11:39 PM..
Old 5/1/08, 12:12 AM
InterNACHI Member

If they use bois d'arc to make foundations, they should last a long time. I made a table out of bois d'arc back in wood science at Texas A&M and probably ruined a gazillion bazillion saw blades. It is a very dense and durable wood, and also very beautiful. I think the only reason it is not used more to make high end furniture is because one goes through too many diamond-edged blades to make something and, depending on how it is cut, it is prone to splitting. That's why I no longer own the beautiful bois d'arc wood table that I made.

NACHI 2005 U.S. Member of the Year

Last edited by rray; 5/1/08 at 6:29 AM..
Old 5/1/08, 5:55 AM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: Bodarc Foundation information

Quote:
Originally Posted by badair
Check spelling Bois D'Arc also referred to as Osage Orange and horse apples

Not a lot about foundations
Hey Barry,

I thought it was spelled as Bodarc also but when I could find nothing under Bodarc (other than the tree information) I tried Bodark and a number of discussions came up. Unfortunately none were of use and none of the answers contained corrections. For such a popular, early construction method (at least around here) I was surprised I could not even find anything in historical records about it.

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

http://www.psinspection.com

TREC License# 7593

Professional Real Estate Inspections for the counties of Collin, Rockwall, Hunt, Dallas, Tarrant, Kaufman and all surrounding areas. If you want the the best you will find it with PS Inspection & Property Services LLC!
Old 5/1/08, 7:36 AM
InterNACHI Member

Manny,

A day working with or around bois d'arc leaves one with no mental or physical strength for documenting it's benefits and rewards...is all I can figure.

I have seen 100+ year old residential and commercial bois d'arc post foundations that are functioning as intended to this day.

As an example Abbey Restaurant and the adjoining structure in Frisco on Main St. has this type of post foundation about 8,000 sq ft as I recall.

I can think of a few local inspectors/P.E.s that may be able to provide more info...if needed...you know my number

badair

ADAIR INSPECTION
972-487-5634

Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Infrared Thermography
TREC # 4563
EDI: EIFS-MA TX # 39

2008 US Member of the Year
National Association of Commercial Building Inspectors & Thermographers™ Member ID 12011-14TX

life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes, accept the good