What is this called

The house was built in 1932. What is the red stuff, (metal)? I know it is a stem wall but what is the material.

What is what called?

Crawlspace?

What is the name for this type of brick? :stuck_out_tongue:

Not too many crawlspaces in Florida but I have seen a few

It’s called terra cotta tile. If the individual “tiles” or “bricks” are 8x8 squares, or squares of another size, like 12x12, then it’s terra cotta for sure.

It sounded like metal when I tapped it with my flash light.

Good article here John that might help.

http://oldhouseweb.com/stories/bitmaps/2006/14512/tcblock1.jpg

Marcel:):smiley:

January 4, 2008 Garage Built of Structural Clay Tile
On this snowy afternoon, a veteran of many winters withstands one more. It is a garage on the East Side, and it is built of structural clay tiles, a product almost forgotten these days. Shown within the blue box in the picture are some examples of these tiles that someone left stacked outside maybe 80 years ago. Structural clay tiles are big hollow blocks made of fired clay. They were made in Haydenville, down in Hocking County, and at Logan Clay, and the Empire State Building is lined with them. Most were just unglazed red clay, but those meant for the outside of buildings were brown or yellow, with a heavy glaze. Some were embossed with patterns. In Lancaster, you see them in foundation walls, in silos and in the occasional small building. The entire town of Haydenville is built out of them. (Go see it.*). But structural clay tile is increasingly rare in Ohio and structures of glazed tile seem rare outside of our region. The tiles were replaced in most construction by concrete (or “cinder”) blocks, somewhat cheaper and perhaps a bit less fragile when you handle them. Some architectural critics contend structural clay tiles are ugly. But I always look for them: They have a practical, antique elegance that adds character to Lancaster’s old farms and alleyways, and I wish you could still buy them. *Haydenville is off U.S. 33 just north of Nelsonville. There’s an exit. Go see the church.
By Mark Kinsler. Posted at 6:30 AM

In the Atlantic provinces, this material was known as terra cotta “speed tile” and was used in the early 1900’s as a bit of an insulation layer (the hollow air spaces) and base for finish plaster.
http://www.historicplaces.ca/visit-visite/image.aspx?id=6002&ver=1&imgID=1

Did a rush consultation a few years ago on the $9 million refit of a historic
cut stone building in Halifax. They wanted me to do thermal gradients and condensation/dew points through the walls before they decided if the interior vapour retarder (barrier) could be placed behind an interior new uninsulated steel stud wall for wiring services. Of interest was the fact that a third generation of an architectural family was lead for the project…the grandfather designed the building in the 1920’s!