Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Specific Inspection Topics > Structural Inspections

Notices

Structural Inspections Contains discussions about the structural portion of a home inspection. This includes foundations, framing, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 5/9/06, 8:16 PM
hspinnler's Avatar
hspinnler hspinnler is offline
Active Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hoschton, GA
Posts: 153
Please Note: hspinnler is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Chimney Termination Requirement

In reading my Code Check book, I confirmed that the chimney I saw today does not meet the minimum termination requirement of 3' above any point passing through the roof. In this case, the chimney cover was located less than 1' above the ridge. My question is why is there a minimum termination requirement for the chimney above the roof? I can see whey the 2' within 10' rule is there, but not this. Anyone care to comment?

BTW, this chimney had a flue cap and spark arrestor. There were tree limbs within 5'.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 5/9/06, 8:35 PM
bkelly2's Avatar
bkelly2 bkelly2 is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 16,084
Default Re: Chimney Termination Requirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by hspinnler
In reading my Code Check book, I confirmed that the chimney I saw today does not meet the minimum termination requirement of 3' above any point passing through the roof. In this case, the chimney cover was located less than 1' above the ridge. My question is why is there a minimum termination requirement for the chimney above the roof? I can see whey the 2' within 10' rule is there, but not this. Anyone care to comment?

BTW, this chimney had a flue cap and spark arrestor. There were tree limbs within 5'.
Is the chimney 3' or more straight up from where it penetrates the roof? Does it also meet the 2' within 10' rule? If it meets or exceeds those rules it is ok.

Look at the codecheck picture #13
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 5/9/06, 8:46 PM
hspinnler's Avatar
hspinnler hspinnler is offline
Active Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hoschton, GA
Posts: 153
Please Note: hspinnler is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Chimney Termination Requirement

Hi Brian,

This should explain it. The chimney cover is only about 11". The flue cap with spark arrestor would make it closer to 24". How do you see it? Nothing within 10' here. Just looking the min. termination height.
Attached Thumbnails
chimney-termination-requirement-hendrix-inspection-050-small-.jpg.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	3367  
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 5/9/06, 9:13 PM
bkelly2's Avatar
bkelly2 bkelly2 is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 16,084
Default Re: Chimney Termination Requirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by hspinnler
Hi Brian,

This should explain it. The chimney cover is only about 11". The flue cap with spark arrestor would make it closer to 24". How do you see it? Nothing within 10' here. Just looking the min. termination height.
The IRC defers to the manufacturer for that type of chimney Hank. You could write something like " the chimney is not to a standard height and we recommend checking the fireplace manufacturers installation guidelines" or something similar. Joe Hagerty has some good fireplace verbage if you can find it. He always recommends an evaluation of all fireplaces.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 5/10/06, 2:28 AM
Kenton Shepard, CMI's Avatar
Kenton Shepard, CMI Kenton Shepard, CMI is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,605
Send a message via ICQ to kshepard
Default Re: Chimney Termination Requirement

Hank, as you mentioned, the chimney has to terminate 2' above any part of the roof within 10'. The visible part of the roof at the left side of the photo is within 10' and it doesn't look like the flue terminates 2' above that.

The 3' rule is probably to address the same problem as the 2/10... without adequate clearance from the roof the chimney may not draft properly.

-Kent
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 5/10/06, 6:30 AM
Russel Ray's Avatar
Russel Ray Russel Ray is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: La Mesa, CA
Posts: 17,407
Default Re: Chimney Termination Requirement

That "chimney" looks to be the exhaust flue for a premanufactured fireplace.

I think I remember something over at inspectionnews.com that Dale Feb wrote concerning premanufactured "chimneys" not being real chimneys and falling under gas flues, Type B vents, or something similar.

Of course, I think the tree poses more problems than anything else in that photo.



NACHI 2005 U.S. Member of the Year
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 5/10/06, 7:05 AM
David P. Valley's Avatar
David P. Valley David P. Valley is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: METHUEN, MA
Posts: 8,765
Default Re: Chimney Termination Requirement

Here ya go...

Looks like you're a measley, one inch short.

Last edited by dvalley; 10/7/07 at 4:41 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 5/10/06, 8:26 PM
bkelly2's Avatar
bkelly2 bkelly2 is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 16,084
Default Re: Chimney Termination Requirement

Spark arrestor on a gas vent?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 5/10/06, 8:46 PM
Larry Kage, CMI Larry Kage, CMI is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NW, MI
Posts: 11,534
Default Re: Chimney Termination Requirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkelly2
Spark arrestor on a gas vent?
That's for when a condo with gas fireplace is rented, much imbibing is done, then they throw a bunch of wood into the firepleace to get it going better.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 5/10/06, 10:00 PM
hspinnler's Avatar
hspinnler hspinnler is offline
Active Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hoschton, GA
Posts: 153
Please Note: hspinnler is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Chimney Termination Requirement

Thanks Folks. David, according to that slide, it meets the requirement. The vent cap discharge point is higher than the chimney cover, so that would work. I have to remember to differentiate between metal chimney flues for insert fireplaces vs. masonry.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 5/10/06, 10:20 PM
bkelly2's Avatar
bkelly2 bkelly2 is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 16,084
Default Re: Chimney Termination Requirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by hspinnler
Thanks Folks. David, according to that slide, it meets the requirement. The vent cap discharge point is higher than the chimney cover, so that would work. I have to remember to differentiate between metal chimney flues for insert fireplaces vs. masonry.
Hank, David's slide is for a gas vent not a fireplace chimney. Default is check with the manufacturer.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 5/11/06, 12:07 PM
Russel Ray's Avatar
Russel Ray Russel Ray is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: La Mesa, CA
Posts: 17,407
Default Re: Chimney Termination Requirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkelly2
Spark arrestor on a gas vent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkage
That's for when a condo with gas fireplace is rented, much imbibing is done, then they throw a bunch of wood into the firepleace to get it going better.
And don't forget about the homeowner who likes the snap, crackle, pop, and smell of real wood, like on Valentine's Day, Thanksgiving, etc.



NACHI 2005 U.S. Member of the Year
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 5/11/06, 12:12 PM
Russel Ray's Avatar
Russel Ray Russel Ray is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: La Mesa, CA
Posts: 17,407
Default Re: Chimney Termination Requirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkelly2
Hank, David's slide is for a gas vent not a fireplace chimney. Default is check with the manufacturer.
As I think I remember Dale Feb stating, though, many gas fireplaces don't have fireplace chimney's in the traditional sense of the word. Instead, they have gas vents and so are subject to the gas vent codes rather than the chimney codes.

Many builders, however, still make the gas vent for the fireplace look like a chimney because (1) chimneys are romantic or (2) chimneys add value to the home. However, with the nature of direct vent fireplaces, chimneys (and the cost to construct them) are rapidly falling by the wayside.

It's interesting to go to a 10,000-SF home that advertises seven fireplaces and not find a single chimney. Many of those chimneys look like the flues from the water heater or furnace. And remember that the furnace in many cases is up there in the 100,000 BTU range. So if a 100,000-BTU furnace requires only a gas vent, explain to me why a 2,000-BTU gas fireplace would require a massive chimney that is subject to chimney codes rather than a gas vent subject to gas vent codes.



NACHI 2005 U.S. Member of the Year
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 5/11/06, 2:30 PM
bkelly2's Avatar
bkelly2 bkelly2 is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 16,084
Default Re: Chimney Termination Requirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray
As I think I remember Dale Feb stating, though, many gas fireplaces don't have fireplace chimney's in the traditional sense of the word. Instead, they have gas vents and so are subject to the gas vent codes rather than the chimney codes.

Many builders, however, still make the gas vent for the fireplace look like a chimney because (1) chimneys are romantic or (2) chimneys add value to the home. However, with the nature of direct vent fireplaces, chimneys (and the cost to construct them) are rapidly falling by the wayside.

It's interesting to go to a 10,000-SF home that advertises seven fireplaces and not find a single chimney. Many of those chimneys look like the flues from the water heater or furnace. And remember that the furnace in many cases is up there in the 100,000 BTU range. So if a 100,000-BTU furnace requires only a gas vent, explain to me why a 2,000-BTU gas fireplace would require a massive chimney that is subject to chimney codes rather than a gas vent subject to gas vent codes.

I just point out that the fireplace needs to be inspected by a chimney sweep RR.

http://www.hansenwholesale.com/home-...aslog_faqs.asp

Vented Gas Fireplaces: Vented Gas Fireplaces are built-in to your home just like real wood burning fireplaces, except that the flue that is a much smaller (usually 4" to 8" in diameter) and cannot handle the heat produced by burning real wood. All gas fireplaces will come with factory installed gas logs that cannot be modified or changed in any way. If you do not like the way your gas fireplace burns, you will need to replace the entire fireplace. Warning: You cannot install any of the gas logs on our web site in this type of vented gas fireplace. Doing so creates an extreme safety hazard.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 5/11/06, 3:13 PM
Russel Ray's Avatar
Russel Ray Russel Ray is offline
InterNACHI Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: La Mesa, CA
Posts: 17,407
Default Re: Chimney Termination Requirement

Exactly.

Good web site.



NACHI 2005 U.S. Member of the Year
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chimney flashing photo's needed: brick and stone done correctly kshepard Exterior Inspections 6 10/13/07 8:10 AM
Floating Chimney Syndrome mcyr General Inspection Discussion 8 7/24/07 11:49 PM
Fireplace Enclosure jpope Interior Inspections 19 10/25/06 5:08 PM
Chimney problems mroe Inspecting HVAC Systems 13 3/30/06 9:14 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 6:30 PM.
no new posts