CMU foundation quality

Inadequate mortaring of block has left gaps between some blocks. Maybe 5% to 7% or something like that. this problem is visible on the exterior only. the wall looks fine at the interior. I doubt block is filled. I’ll recommend evaluation by a Structural Engineer unless I have inspectors with masonry backgrounds saying it’s no big deal.

Kenton,

I’m no masonry expert, but I can tell you that if this was my inspection, I would have recommended a professional mason to evaluate and estimate repair to these exterior blocks (shoddy workmanship). They simply need tuck pointing and those retainers can be snapped off while they’re tuck pointing.

Also, on the inside of the garage, the ceiling insulation vapor retarder is exposed (which is a fire issue) and the corner of the garage wall is getting a lot of run off from roof drainage.

Is this a conditioned area?

Why insulate the ceiling and not the walls?

Actually a basement about to be finished out, but with no heat source down there, insulation shold have been istalled with the vapor barrier side up toward the warm side. Mason’s a good call, David. Free, professional evaluation and estimate. Water stains all over those walls.

looks to me like this was prepared to receive a veneer brick. it appears to be corrugated “brick ties” protruding from the cmu which would have tied in the brick course. and it looks like there’s a brick shelf at the foundation to recieve the brick. that’s why the inside, exposed, cmu, is tooled better than the exterior. typically the backup is not finished off as well as an exposed masonry; however, in this case iit might be a little too “not finished”.

Kenton, hope your fine.

The pictures you submitted indicate to me that the building was built and not yet finished.

I have to agree with Andrew on this one with his points well taken.

I am seeing a lot of water intrusion through the block in one picture which would indicate that the blocks are hollow and easy to tell by tapping the cells.

My intrest would have been at the top to see if a Bond Beam block had been used so as to anchor the box sill plate.
It appears that the intent is to pour a concrete floor and finish the basement. If the floor is poured on top of the footing, the ceiling height will be 7’-4" and that receptacle will be at 4" AFF…

There are a lot of discolored blocks and different texture indicating to me that they are old manufactured blocks sitting a long time in a yard somewhere.

The exterior condition clearly indicates to me that the mason was not an expert due to the cavities left in the buttered joints. Their is also a lot of block faces that are not in the same plane and are either like that also in the interior and can not see it in the picture or block seconds were used. It also would have been prudent to have supplied and install a counter flashing in the Masonry at the foundation level, windows and sill level to wood siding.
The alignment of the blockwork to the bottom of the wall siding is out of alignment and one of them is wrong.

The size of the window and the block above it tell me that the minimum install was a bond beam block with two #4 reinforcement (we hope) and would not be adequate to carry a floor loading. A 16" lintel block should have be used with four #5 reinforcement.

The wood trim installed around the windows is nailed to a sub-frame inset in the masonry, should have been pressure treated.

It is obvious that the intent is to have a brick or stone clad veneer and the masonry back up needs to be water proofed with mastic and voids filled.
The corrugated ties should be installed at 16" vertical and 24" horizontal max.
Ties at the windows should be within 8" of the opening.

Did I bore you?? Ha. Ha. :slight_smile: :wink:

Marcel :smiley:
</IMG></IMG></IMG>

Marcel, I swear you act like you built “A thing or two” in your lifetime…:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Green is on the way if I can give you another one …!!!..:mrgreen:

marcel: you da man. northeast rules~:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Oh well I tried…:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

yep, that was the plan, and they even added another foundation to carry the brick (or stone) and left a 1" gap… which funneled lots of water into the basement.

Foreclosure. They obviously ran out of money. You enlightened me Marcel :smiley: good post, you got a greenie from me too. Oooops, I tried but got a notice saying you have a whole dump truck full of greenies out back and no place to put 'em.

Is the footing deep enough below grade? I count 11 courses in the exterior shots and 12 courses in the interior shot. I imagine frost heave is a bit of a concern in CO.