Crack evaluation in slabs on grade

Can someone give me some guidance on these types of cracks? Here in east Texas our soil is fairly stable (red clay) and in many homes I find no perimeter cracks; sometimes I do. I feel confident (fairly so) in identifying shrinkage cracks in a garage floor; however, in the past, I’ve been writing these (see pics) to get “further evaluation”, etc…

What I want to know is how much of a “big deal” are these cracks?

Of these pics, one is a stand-alone, one lines up with the crack in the brick veneer, one is a back porch (thinner concrete) that was simultaneously poured with the slab and its crack lines up with a crack in the brick.

None of these were visible on the inside b/c of the floor coverings.

Once again–thanks in advance,
Bruce

Picture 069a.jpg

Picture 069a.jpg

Picture 090a.jpg

Picture 081a.jpg

Those cracks appear to be as common as good beef brisket in Texas. :wink:

Common, yes.
Problematic? What do you think?

The brisket is wonderful!

Hi Bruce,

I wouldn’t even make a comment except “Typical Hairline Cracks”!..so the buyer or seller at knew I saw them…!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a stem wall that didn’t have at least one crack. Perfectly normal. Besides, if they ever do become a problem we’ll all be dead and gone by then anyway. :lol:

Hey thanks.

Would that still apply to the ones that line up with the brick?

Bruce, for me it does. I go “typical hairline cracks” on everything unless they exceed 1/8th inch at some point of the crack, then I actually look at them. I do photo some and comment for the same reason as Dale.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I left out some information purposely. One of those cracks has a corresponding crack on the sheetrock inside the bedroom at the bottom left of a window. see pic.

So does this change anyone’s answer?

I originally was going to ask this in 2 questions, but didn’t want to muddy the waters. :smiley:

Picture 142a.jpg

Bruce, here is my standard wording for such cracks:

Now, the crack in the 1st photo that shows on the parge coat, the mortar and the brick would give me pause. If it did align with a drywall crack on the interior then I would likely refer this to a foundation expert.

Same with me, if those do line up that’s a horse of a different feather. If they don’t line up I would still photo it and my call would be “normal settling cracks noted” :slight_smile:

Hi Bruce,

It does not change my answer, now if that window (typical) crack was starting at the floor and not at the window corner, which is just another normal crack location I would say something different (like watch the cracking for a few months to make sure it isn’t getting bigger), but I would not have anyone in the foundation business go to this house for such a minimal crack that’s for sure.

I would tell the client to look at the cracks from time to time and make sure they are not enlarging simple as that.

And I would offer to stop back in a couple months and look at them myself…free, it would make the client know you care.

Ditto, word for word and action for action.

Ditto. I believe the thumb rule for evaluation by an expert would be a 1/2 inch crack or worse, anything less is typical shrinkage or settlement in most cases.