Cracks at garage floor & walls

The garage floor was separated form the garage slab foundation. Also at the corner of the exterior foundation there was cracking & displacement about 1 inch. This was the corner next to the garage. There was an hatch area but it was blocked due to the deck. There were no indications of structural problems in the basement.

That is the garage service door in the picture. The extension cord is going across the hinged acess. Seemed like an odd place for an acess. I thought the cracking may be related between the garage floor and exterior. There where also cracks at the same corner in the drywall. I called to have someone open up the access and evaluate.

Any thoughts on the cracking?

93507 024 (Small).jpg

93507 013 (Small).jpg

93507 012 (Small).jpg

Was the cracking only in this corner of tha garage, was the floor level? Is it a block foundation or poured concrete, was the concrete cracked under the rug by the other door, were the door jambs still plumb

In your area of Ohio, you might have a floating slab that would result in those types of “cracks.” Since they’re in the garage, they don’t cause me a structural concern since the garage foundation is (should be) poured separately from the rest of the house.

In your area of Ohio, you might have a floating slab that would result in those types of “cracks.” Since they’re in the garage, they don’t cause me a structural concern since the garage foundation is (should be) poured separately from the rest of the house.

RR you seem to be repeating yourself!!!:margarit:

Dave,

Looks like older work, they should have put expansion joints all the way around that garage floor.

Steve

The cracks in the wall raise a red flag. You made the right recommendation.

BTW…is that doggie poo on the garage floor? Call it out as a sanitary issue!!:mrgreen: