Fire damage ???

This was found in an attic. No appliances. It appears to be fire damage. Painted with silver paint. Thoughts ??

Charlie

Fire damage. It is painted to mask the smoke smell.

Yep, that it is! At least they replaced the “charred” members. Many times they don’t!

Intumescent paint, sold by sherwain williams and called white pigmented shellac or an equal and this job looks like it was done half fast. :slight_smile:
It should look like this;

Marcel, what is your opinion as to how they painted the sheathing and replaced all those rafters afterwards. I hope this home has a reroof that included renailing of the deck after those new rafters went in.

That most likely is not intumescent paint, which is a fireproofing coating, not a smoke/odour supression spray coating.

http://www.ksccanada.com/26.html

From another site:

*"No. 149 Exterior Intumescent Fire Retardant Paint is a highly flexible, weather resistant, intumescent type fire retardant coating that is suitable for application to exterior surfaces where maximum fire protection is required or preferred. When exposed to fire and/or high heat, the coating intumesces (puffs up) to form a thick, dense foam fire barrier. This foam layer reduces the surface burning characteristics of combustible materials and retards the penetration of heat. For maximum durability, overcoat with Flame Control No. 400 Semi-Gloss Overcoat."

Brian, the only thing that I can comment on from the pictures is that it appears the intumescent paint was applied before the shingle replacement.
I am assuming the the roof covering was replace by evidence of the splintered plywood from the nails above.
I do not know what product was used, but appears to be showing inadequate coverage.
I would have done all the necessary repairs first and then sprayed all areas that were charred or smoke inhibited.
The product that I mentioned (White Pigmented Shellac) would drive you out of the building if you do not have a respirator. Lasts about 12 hours. Very potent stuff.
It works.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the correction, I erred in calling it by the wrong name.
Although I have used the intumescent paint in other applications, I had a brain cramp.
I do have pictures of those too if you need to refresh yourself. :slight_smile:

This was an odor muffling product to rid the building of smoke smell. That is very hard to achieve and that product was excellent.

I thought you would have!!

PS…By coincidence, I had a conversation with a gov official about intumescent paint/coating this afternoon. It’s being used by some insulators as fireproofing over sprayed foams used to insulate basement walls. We have never seen the “paint” approved for that purpose, only cementitious coatings. Will be in touch with the Fire Marshall and manufacturers soon.

Charles,
Interesting 2 pictures. Really hard to comment, could be several scenario’s. Bad restoration repair! Would like to see more pictures or get more info.
You can assume a fire. Minor fire not intense. Your first picture toward back shows an area of raw wood, probably CDX sheathing. No char! The ridge, and rafters on left side of roof show lite char. Not sure why or how the rafters on right side where replaced, that appear to be new. Smoke and heat go up. You would assume that if the right side rafters needed replacing the ridge and rafters on left would need replacing.
The CDX sheathing shows lite alligatoring(barely).
All speculation without more info.
If there was an actual fire, typical kiln or binz type paint is used and completely covers all the framing and sheathing. Generally, spray applied with a paint sprayer. It covers the fire odor. I would assume you can smell some odor of smoke. You would only see white and not the mess we see in the 2 limited pictures.(mess meaning, incomplete and and not adequate coverage of the assumed material char.)
If you want to, not required, recommend to your client they contact a certified/licensed fire restoration contractor to evaluate.

Fire Damage, Disclaim it.

Ask for documents certifying past repairs.

Poor restoration. Rafters replaced only at one side. Moisture content @ remaining framing? Complete moisture loss is possible, with potential resulting structural integrity defects. Be carefull with the wording in your report.

http://www.advancedinsulationla.com/thermal-barrier-story.html

The Thermal Barrier and Ignition Barrier story:

One issue that has confused many is the code requirement for thermal and ignition Barriers and how it relates to spray foam insulation when installed in an attic or crawl space. I’m going to attempt to put the explanation in laymen terms.

First, definitions:

**Thermal Barrier **– A thermal barrier as far as building code is concerned, is any product that has been ASTM tested and is considered to have a “15-minute thermal barrier” or an “index of 15”. An example of a thermal barrier is 1/2” sheet rock, 1/4” plywood or particleboard, and some fire proof coating.

Ignition Barrier – a product that prevents the ignition of the product which it is applied to from a spark, or from direct heat, but does not protect from direct flame over a period of time. Ignition barriers are usually spray on or brush on coatings.

This analogy might help understand the difference. Lets say a firefighter is wearing his fireproof suit, his suit is our thermal barrier. We are standing next to him wearing a leather jacket. This leather jacket is our ignition barrier. The firefighter can walk though a fire without burning, but we can’t. That leather jacket would burn quickly. But if we were standing outside the fire and a spark come in contact with the leather jacket, it’s doubtful we wouldn’t burn. The jacket would give us a small amount of protection. But nothing close to the amount of protection that the fireproof suit would give us. So therefore, a thermal barrier is a high-level of protection, and an ignition barrier is a low-level of protection.
:slight_smile:

Fire damage is the serious consequence which can lead to various respiratory problems through their smoke. Therefore you need to remediate the problem as soon as possible to ensure healthy life of your family members. Manhattan New York 24 Hour Emergency Fire Damage Restoration Service are professional available to make repairs to your damaged property. Along with the repairs they will also sanitize your home from smoke effect and odor for safe survival.

1 Like