Inspecting antique barns in New Hampshire

From time to time we’re asked to inspect older timber framed or post and beam structure’s so I thought I would start a thread to look at some of the things I see while inspecting. This barn was built in 1850 and ongoing repairs were apparent. The usual siding and door replacement, new poured concrete on one side and new electrical.

Inside there were obvious signs of the frame leaning to one side. Several attempts to shore up the frame were seen on the second floor, which in my opinion are not consistent with proper framing techniques for this time period. I’m somewhat of a traditionalist and always recommend any repair be period correct to preserve the barn.

Although the repairs to the main timbers may have left the installer feeling as though he had help stabilize the structure the reality is it probably had little effect.

The root of the problem is in the crawlspace under the barn. Most of the wood piers under the middle of the frame are deteriorated and lack proper footings. This area was ignored most likely due to a lack of access. Because the piers lack support the barn started to settle, as it did the frame started leaning toward the left. This took many years and I doubt the frame will ever be straight again but it certainly can be stabilized. The overall condition was not bad and with some work to the footings and piers this barn may last another 100 years.

This inspection included the main home which was in pretty good condition but had issue’s too. I’ll post pictures and hopefully start a discussion of inspecting antique timber framed homes and barns, what typically fails and whats the best recommendation for us as home inspectors.

we have many homes that date back before the 1900’s too. The structural members can bee rough cut logs or even granite pillars. The older homes were in many cases made very strong, possibly over done so many are very sturdy. I see ages of WDO damage to the structure in basements and crawls, the other biggie is K&T wiring that has been badly modified but still active. It was the wiring used until the 1930’s (around here)and it gets added to possibly overloaded and many folks insulate the areas around it, not knowing it is required to be in space as it air cools, these items create a real fire hazard.

Here’s some exterior views were you can see the barn leaning to one side. The doors on the front of the barn have been replaced as well as the foundation and siding on the right side.

The rear and left side is where most of the failure is occurring. Although new concrete footings and piers were installed along the load bearing exterior wall on the left side, the center is where the settlement is and difficult to access.

Old barns, built when there were no building codes, were built by many of the same people that build old houses and suffer from the same problems. As building codes came into existence house construction and barn construction went down separate paths. Building codes are concerned with buildings built for people not animals, so modern building codes do not apply. Be sure to educate your clients these are two different buildings and manage their expectations. When someone wants to convert an old barn into a house is a red flag event you should be concerned with.

Hi Randy, I think you misunderstood, this is not a conversion. I inspected both the home and barn which date back to 1850.
I inspect alot of these old timber framed building and wanted to share my experience and where most failure’s occur.
I’ll be posting more pictures later when I get back to the office. These will show failure and repairs done to the floor supports.

The biggest problem I find is repairs inconsistant with this type of framing.

Hi Randy, I think you misunderstood, this is not a conversion. I inspected both the home and barn which date back to 1850.
I inspect alot of these old timber framed building and wanted to share my experience and where most failure’s occur.
I’ll be posting more pictures later when I get back to the office. These will show failure and repairs done to the floor supports.

The biggest problem I find is repairs inconsistant with this type of framing.

Peter, this is a very interesting thread. Thanks. I’m really into barns.

At the bottom of this article are some recommendations for your clients (you can include them in your report): http://www.nachi.org/barn-inspection.htm

Thanks Nick, I am too and am lucky that I get to inspect alot of old timber framed structures up here. Here’s some more photo’s.

I like the fact that this barn came with spare parts, this beam/tree was 20-22 feet long and hand hewed.

Here’s pictures of the structure and some of the repairs that were made.

A few more…

Here’s a few of the support failure under the floor. This area has been neglected due to limited access. Without addressing these supports first the rest of the barn repairs are meaningless.

A few more. The last picture shows a new pier and footing.

Here’s a nice barn that was professionally restored and converted into a home.

Barn conversion (1).JPG

Barn conversion (2).JPG

Fun pictures, Peter…thanks. :slight_smile:

great stuff Pete …thank You …

Thanks Pete I have always liked the old barns also went to Branson over the week end and captured a couple over there if you have never visited Branson You should make the trip its worth while

Thanks guys.

Charley that place looks pretty cool. I’ve got an inspection Thursday for a log home on 300 acres. The home is off the grid and 1 mile out a four wheel drive road.

Guess I’ll have to load up my tools in the tank. AKA, 1995 GMC Suburban, this should be interesting. Listing says the site is patrolled and no unauthorized entrance allowed.

Hello Russell, Up here we too inspect many Log and timberframe homes and barns. We specialize in these and travel all over Ontario doing them. Yeah that metal angle plate was funny, not obviously someone who was concerned with what it takes to properly repair a timber structure. Up here the most common failure we see is the foundations failing. Most were built of hand stack granite or limestone sometimes they were mortared often not. The problem is few were set on proper footings they were simply dug down to clean earth and started the foundation wall there or minimal footings were laid. This worked well for many many years until the farmers left the land and owners stopped keeping livestock in the barn. Farmers kept livestock on the lower level and hay and feed and equipment etc above. Once the livestock were gone the heat in the ground from the animals and their wastes was gone meaning nothing was preventing the frost from heaving the walls or footings. Just like an unheated basement the frost will then start to damage the walls and what footings there may be. Unfortunately we see a lot of barns that are no longer economically salvageable as they stand ( sort of ) but we encourage the owners to take them down and rebuild them on a new foundation.

Hi Bruce, I see alot of that around here too but many barns can be save through a grant from the barn preservation. As long as you don’t alter to structure or use you can get descent tax breaks on barn which makes them worth saving.

Some of my fondest memories are from playing in barns, love inspection them.

Just inspected this one which in barns years is not that old, 40.

Lots of issues, roof is aging, wood decay along the entire perimeter and the vertical support posts are below grade and deteriorated.

24 Stalls and was once a beauty that needs exterior restoration.

barn (3) (Small).JPG

barn (3) (Small).JPG

barn (1) (Small).JPG

barn (2) (Small).JPG