Manufactured Home?

I was called to inspect a home recently to advise if it is a manufactured home or modular. The home I am told is 42 yrs old so 1970 and the current owner has lived here 25+ years. He advised he was never told it was a double wide trailer and does not have a title. I was not able to find any tags or anything exterior or interior or below (lots of modifications to home as well). However when I am looking at the floor framing it is definately steel w/steel Ibeam cross sections as well. It however does not look like any trailer chasis I have seen and I am hesitant on just blurting out its a manufactured home based on this without digging deeper. I went to a manufactured home company locally discussed what I saw and even crawled under one on their property to show difference and they still advised most likely a old double wide and be safe and say so. I called the town to ask how they have it listed and they have it listed as a ranch (LOL)… So I want to attach some photos I took and get others opinions.

Additional photos (I got about 24)

Looks like the older type of Modular framing to me.
They used to transport on a separate frame with traverse beams. :slight_smile:

http://www.nachi.org/modular-manufactured-homes.htm

I’m thinking manufactured (mobile) because of the date (1970).

Here is a great description by our late colleague Gerry Beaumont:

In Missouri, if the State okays the plans of a manufactured home as a modular, it is called a modular. All the tags numbers can be checked on the Missouri Housing website.

In Missouri, this would be called a modular unless it can be proved otherwise. I got a rental house that was originally built from a mobile home. The appraiser, insurance company and the county calls it a house because it cannot be easily moved.

Thanks for the responses so far. I also called a modular home company today and the gentlemen agreed to look at some photos and from my verbal description believes it may be a “on frame modular” as I believe Marcel may have been stating. There are so many opinions it seems when I search the web and I am just doing as much homework as possible. I also have reviewed the training thru Nachi and such for how to inspect these structures. However the training really is on inspecting them and what is proper vs. improper. It does really go into this sort of specific question and this specific frame. So I am not ignoring training or the repsonses from folks I am just digging as deeply as I can to do my best for my client. Please post more opinions lol…

• 	** 			What is a custom built modular home?**

A custom built modular home is a home that is constructed inside a  controlled environment and shipped to its final destination where it is  assembled on its foundation. The finished product looks like any “site  built” or “RTM” home.

• 	** 			What is the advantage’s to building inside a factory?**

Factory efficiency equals cost savings. Built indoors in perfect  weather conditions with state of the art equipment ensures that your new  home is built with great efficiency using quality materials. There is  no down time which equals excellent value and the quick completion of  your new home.

• 	** 			Can I customize my new home?**

Not only can you customize your new home we have trained housing  consultants who specialize in helping you design a home that fits your  lifestyle and budget. We have numerous plans of various sizes to help  you form a starting point and you choose the options and colors of your  new home.

• 	** 			Are modular homes actually just mobile homes?**

A modular home is nothing like the traditional mobile or manufactured  homes. These homes are also built inside of factories however they are  designed to have the frame that they are shipped on stay with the home. A  modular home is designed to go onto a permanent foundation whether that  is a full basement or a crawlspace. Once completed onsite most people  cannot tell the difference between a site built and modular home.

• 	** 			What is the difference between an RTM and a Modular home?**

There is actually no difference in the materials used between the  two. An RTM home is like a cousin to a modular home. The biggest  differences is a typical RTM home will take anywhere for 4-6 months to  build and is built in one piece which can result in higher shipping  charges and not being able to access certain areas. A modular home is  built in 60-90 days and because it is built in modular pieces and  finished onsite there are very few areas that a modular home cannot  access.

• 	** 			Where are the homes built?**

Here at McDiarmid Homes quality is of the utmost importance to us and  we researched over 100 factories before we chose the 3 factories that  we now represent. We chose these companies as we feel that they are  leaders in the industry offering unquestioned quality, customer service  and the ability to customize to our customer’s needs. Our factories are  located in Minnesota and Indiana. All of our companies have been in  business for over 20 years and have built 1000’s of homes in that time

• 	** 			What is the best time to buy a new home?**

There is no better time than now! Due to the never ending upwards  climb of building materials, labour costs, labour shortages, fuel costs  and land prices there is no better time than the present. Since all of  our homes are built inside we can ship your dream home year round. We  are not bound to the traditional April to October time frame you can  order your home and have it delivered no matter what time of year it is.

• 	** 			Why should I buy my home from Mcdiarmid Homes?**

We are Western Canada’s premiere retailer of modular homes with 13  sales centers located across Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario. You  will meet with our knowledgeable sales consultants who will guide you  through every step of creating your new home. Our homes are all covered  by a Blanket Home Warranty program and are built to withstand our tough  weather conditions. Our consultants have access to different sub trades  and can make building your dream home easy.

• 	** 			What does it cost to build a modular home?**

Depending on the options that you choose in your new home the average  home costs around $100 per square foot which includes the  transportation and the setup!

• 	** 			Will moving my new home cause structural damage?**

Since all of our homes are built inside a factory and moved they are  engineered to allow them to move long distances without causing any  structural damage. All homes that move have minor cosmetic drywall  cracks however just like any site built or RTM home once the home has  been on the foundation for 6-8 months it should stop cracking. Once your  home has settled all you have to do is send in a service request and we  will send our service crew to repair any cracking that has occurred. We  only do this once (must be in first year) which is why we suggest  waiting until your home has completely settled onto its foundation!

• 	** 			Who moves the home and are they insured?**

Our building movers are very experienced and use very specialized  equipment. All of our building movers must show proof of insurance for  us to allow them to move our homes!

• 	** 			When can we expect our new home?**

Typically it takes between 60-90 days for your home to be constructed  in the factory depending on the time of year and depending on the size  of the home and usually takes about 7-10 business days for your home to  be assembled onsite.

• 	** 			What building code do you build to?**

All of our homes are constructed to the A277 building code of Canada  and also meet any additional provincial or municipal requirements that  your home location may have.

• 	** 			What is the Warranty for our new home?**

Blanket Home Warranty Program (5 years) McDiarmid Home Warranty (1  year). In addition you will also receive product warranties such as  window warranties (25 years). Each of our new homes also come with a  free Touch Up Service kit which includes shingles, siding, drywall tape  and compound which allows you to make any maintenance repairs needed  which is part of home ownership and building equity into your new home!

• 	** 			Who is responsible for the foundation?**

Typically our customers are responsible to build their own  foundations. Depending on your location we may be able to assist you  with either finding reliable sub trades or building the foundation for  you!

• 	** 			What type of foundation is required for a modular home?**

The type and style is up to you. Your new modular home can be  installed on just about any foundation from a crawlspace to a basement  to a full walk out basement. The materials can vary from wood to  concrete or ICF for the walls and from piles to footings for the  support. Whichever system you choose your new home will be engineered  for that type and we will provide you the building plans and the  engineered stamp that you require to get your foundation built!

• 	** 			Can you build an attached deck or sunroom to be shipped with the home?**

Because of the width restrictions on the modular homes we cannot  build your deck or sunroom as part of the home. There are some floor  plans where this may work if it’s built off the front of the home. If we  cannot build the deck as part of the home we may be able to build the  overhang into the roof and supply you the materials that you need to  complete the deck onsite!

• 	** 			Can we collect Air Miles on our new home purchase?**

Yes this is an exclusive offer from Mcdiarmid Homes. For every $40.00  you spend you receive one Air Mile providing your purchase was not made  with a credit card and your purchase price has been paid in full! For  example of if your new home was $200,000 you would earn 5000 Air Mile  reward miles!

• 	** 			What needs to be done after the setup crew has assembled the house?**

Depending on the factory that your sales consultant helps you choose  based on your budget and lifestyle requirements all that may be left  would be to have local trades hook up your utilities.