Manufactured Home Roof Connection

Manufactured home roof connection at the ridge appears to be incorrect. No collar ties or other methods to connect and secure the two halves. Any opinions?

274.JPG

280.JPG

275.JPG

278.JPG

279.JPG

278.JPG

278.JPG

280.JPG

Appears to be sloppy framing. Were there ceiling joists running the same direction as the rafters, tying the walls together? If so, there is nothing making the rafters pull away from the ridge. If there are ceiling joists that are not connected to each other to make one long continuous joist, the angle of the struts could push the rafters away from the ridge. You should be able to find evidence of that elsewhere in the house though. Ceiling drywall pulling away from walls or something similar to that.
In Canada (at least in the Ontario Building Code) collar ties are used for intermediate support for the rafters, not to keep them from pulling away from each other.

Before you call it out, call the manufacturer with the serial number and ask him to tell you what the plans call for. In your report, report the defect in relationship to the manufacturer’s instructions.

While you are speaking to the manufacturer, inquire if any of these defects would affect the warranty.

Was not able to locate the manufacturer’s label, home built in 1986. I do agree that the framing is very poor. No evidence of drywall movement. I should clarify, it is a modular home.

Modulars require tags, as well. They are hidden, but there. If not inside the electrical panel they are under the kitchen sink in the cabinet area, usually.

Without that tag, you are missing some very important information.

I have never inspected a modular home nor have I worked on one. I have seen them going down the road, usually half width (or less?). This makes me think that they have to connect the two halves at the ridge once it is installed. Maybe that is where the poor framing happened? I would think if that was the case, both halves would have a ridge board.

Perhaps.

The modules are built in a factory by contractor A and assembled by contractor B, according to a set of plans. It was inspected before it left the factory and the info was placed on the tag, along with the serial number. You do not know if you have a defect in the assembly if you do not have the plans.

When we see something like what we see in picture #1, we know we have a defect. Just don’t know why without further digging.

I usually find the serial number tag in a bedroom closet.

House was very cluttered, including the closets. Did not find the tag at the panel, may have missed it under the kitchen sink, the cabinet was filled with stored items. A few more images:
:slight_smile:

273.JPG

281.JPG

279.JPG

281.JPG

When I find something like this. I am not afraid to say, I don’t know. I then recommend a person in the perspective field to evaluate further and advise if any repairs are necessary. Better safe than sorry is my take.

I think your right, where they connected the two halves together (the poor framing), looks like they used whatever they could to piece it together

Another thing to keep in mind about a modular home. If there is a rectangular sticker on the outside of siding near where the taillights would be. It is a manufactured home. The sticker will even say “manufactured”. Most Realtors have no idea what they are listing. Sad but true.

Buyer is walking away from this home. Many other issues in addition to the roof structure.

Just curious; do modular homes have a good or bad reputation where your are? Two manufacturers close to where I live. Both have a good reputation.

In my area, the manufacturers have a varying reputation, Its the sellers, set crews and contractors that have a worse reputation. I see similar caliber work on manufactured homes in my area, usually done by the set crew that wanted to get done before 3, and collect their pay.

I agree with Michael. What is built at the factory is usually above average. The below average workmanship usually occurs on site from subs.

That is some very poor quality framing/craftsmanship. It almost looks as though it is missing a ridge board — all the mis cut blocking. I would think that each half would have its own ridge board so that the two halves could be joined properly. Although I don’t think these are ridge boards by definition, since major roof components are running paralell. One method that is sometimes used to connect ridge boards to rafters is flat strap. A length of flat strap, say 24" is laid on top of the rafter and crosses over the ridge board and continues the same distance over the top of the adjacent rafter. These straps are hidden once the roof deck is applied. The straps keep the rafters from separating or pulling apart, but do not provide any resistance to live and dead loads. I don’t think that this is the scenario that we are looking at here, but it is possible due to the two halves needing to be joined after the fact. Either way, something is very wrong here.